I hate ebay!

Robbied196":2o75eie2 said:
Never had a problem with the Bay. You can find things you'd think would be impossible to track down. You get the total bargains and the completely overpriced. But thats just life :)

There is a craze with not bidding until the last possible second which I don't quite get, and sniper bids are becoming more common. But if I'm buying I just decide what I will pay and place my bid. If I win great, if I don't I know I would have been paying to much anyway.

Exactly, that's what I do.

Bidding at the latest possible moment makes a lot of sense. I sell quite a bit on ebay, and basically as soon as one person bids - those items attract more bids, even if there are other items the same, from the same seller, that are still at their starting price with no bids.

Also, there are a lot of people who still bid incrementally, and don't put in their max bid straight off the bat, even if something only has 10minutes to go. Therefore, if you have placed your max bid with say, 3 days to go, people will just bid up and up and you significantly increase your chances of either being outbid, or paying more than you would have done otherwise. On top of that, people get attached to things they have bid on, and if you get out bid with 2 days to go, it is very easy to have another little spin of the wheel - not applicable to everyone I know, but it does happen. If you have never bid on something and it goes above what you're willing to pay, you don't have that same attachment and it's easier to walk away.

There are basically no benefits to bidding early, but lots for bidding late. Setting up a free auction sniper means you don't even have to worry about being there when it finishes.

Yeah, thought I might've picked up one or two of those old tubs recently, but no... :roll: - even the pair of Conti Giro's seemed to go for about their absolute max (+ £4.45 p+p!). I don't bid much and tend to wait a bit. A couple of recent half-decent 'deals' - Sugino seat post binder bolt - £0.99p, two minutes with a file and the tab is gone [tenner for a Campag version], and a misdescribed NOS 53-tooth Campag 'Record' chainring (clearly a Victory) - oh aye :cool: for 99p. Penny pinching it is and a bit of fun.

But WHERE IS that elusive single 36-hole Monthlery Pro rim in mint/excellent condition? The front's been sitting here for over two years now ready to roll :). I know a pair went for about forty or so but that's just me :roll: :D. Oh well, skinflints of the world unite - we have nothing to lose but our bids... :shock: :cool:.

gregs656":1eomjcbw said:
Bidding at the latest possible moment makes a lot of sense. I sell quite a bit on ebay, and basically as soon as one person bids - those items attract more bids, even if there are other items the same, from the same seller, that are still at their starting price with no bids.

Also, there are a lot of people who still bid incrementally, and don't put in their max bid straight off the bat, even if something only has 10minutes to go. Therefore, if you have placed your max bid with say, 3 days to go, people will just bid up and up and you significantly increase your chances of either being outbid, or paying more than you would have done otherwise. On top of that, people get attached to things they have bid on, and if you get out bid with 2 days to go, it is very easy to have another little spin of the wheel - not applicable to everyone I know, but it does happen. If you have never bid on something and it goes above what you're willing to pay, you don't have that same attachment and it's easier to walk away.

There are basically no benefits to bidding early, but lots for bidding late. Setting up a free auction sniper means you don't even have to worry about being there when it finishes.

I think it depends on how much you want something and how rare it is.

I have lost out in the past as I left it to the last minute and then got beat in the last second or my broadband hung before I put in a bid or whatever - second place gets naff all - if is the item you need to finish a project or the item comes up once a year or something that can be gutting.

If you really want something then bid early and bid as much as you can afford plus a bit - especially if the item is hard to find.

If it is a more common item then try and save a few quid dicing with the other chancers and snipers in the closing seconds but don't complain if you miss out!

gregs656":lddl73um said:

I think it depends on how much you want something and how rare it is.

I have lost out in the past as I left it to the last minute and then got beat in the last second or my broadband hung before I put in a bid or whatever - second place gets naff all.

If you really want something then bid as much as you can afford plus a bit - especially if the item is hard to find.

If it is a more common item then try and save a few quid dicing with the other chancers and snipers in the closing seconds but don't complain if you miss out!

You wouldn't have had that problem if you had used an auction sniper - which effectively removes the problems of dodgy net connection, being out/asleep when the auction ends or just pain old forgetting :LOL:

Latest posts

Back