Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have been looking used for something for my son. The list so far is
Pinnacle
Specialized Sirrus
Giant Escape
Voodoo Marasa

The Giant spec is woeful for the money, Specialized hold their money, the Voodoo looks ok. It’ll need full length mudguards and a rack fitted. Discs are a must.

Thoughts?

Bought my wife a Whyte Malvern from Evan’s. Decent enough spec for the money, was a lot off. Suss forks, so not ideal for guards but they do some fully rigid models.

I can't recommend specific models, however I'd say:
-I'd try to get a rigid fork. Most hybrids have very poor and very heavy cheap suspension forks. Compensate with wider tires
-go for the model with most extras already included, even if starting price is higher. Will be cheaper in the long run
-if possible, get one with dynamo hub and lighting. Shimano has cheap ones so the total price should not be much higher, and if the bike does not come with it, you'll likely never add it later on. Big peace of mind when your son needs to ride in the dark

Ditto comments on OE suspension. It's just an anchor waiting to seize up.
I was going to say, a few guys at work have Boardman's with an internal gear/belt drive & hydro discs. I would be very tempted by one for my next commuter.

A Giant Escape 2 has been procured from Gumtree!

The house I collected it from was posh, but sadly the bike had been left outside. The front mech was rusted solid, rear pads heavily worn and six spokes snapped in the rear wheel (he was a big fella). The bloke knocked some money off to the point it was worth having. It was very much a lockdown purchase bike I think!

I replaced the spokes and used PlusGas on the mech. My son has taken it to school for a trial run. Assuming he likes it, a full strip down beckons and an upgrade to XT 9 speed with better wheels. The idea is that it looks humdrum, but actually is quite good quality. Sort of a sleeper bike.

RRP on the 2022 version is £699, you get Atlus for that! :rolleyes:

I’ve already bought a better chainset, I have some of the gears in a box, I need a front mech though.

Wouldn’t upgrade it too much, someone might nick it for the parts! Looks perfect once you get the wheel sorted.

RRP on the 2022 version is £699, you get Atlus for that! :rolleyes:

Remember inflation? I’m not talking about tyres either 😀
£699 is the equivalent of £280 back in 1992. For that price you’d have got a heavy steel frame, cheap cantilevers and maybe 200gs.

Back