Hubby did 60 miles and cold bath

I see no reason why this should get personal but for the record, my longest run before the marathon was just 13 miles and I ran only four times in the 6 weeks prior to the event.. was that the answer you were expecting? No, I didn't think so. Alisons husband rides 14 miles a day, which as already noted in the thread should be more than enough to get someone through a slow 60 miler at the weekend.

Alison asked a question, you simply replied 'yes', with no explanation or reasoning. It's true because you say so... right?

I simply offered an alternative view with a small degree of explanation and linked to a supporting study.

Maybe 'fatigue' was a poor choice of phrase, but you know what I meant, and I credit you with enough intelligence to appreciate that a 'strain' is not the same as the damage caused by exercise and it therefore does not necessarily follow that treatment for one should be the same as the other.

You can argue semantics all night long if you like, but I'd rather see you provide some evidence that demonstrates that ice baths do in fact, without doubt, aid recovery... And I'm sure others would appreciate that too.

RobMac":1betx06q said:
Yeah that's right!
I base my claim on real life not trolling the internet.
You could sit up all night on the computer and you'd find all the links you want 'for' and 'against' this method.

Nice.. although you already know that I first learned that ice baths might not be all they're cracked up to be when I read a real, paper, book... Who'd have thought it?

I'll note it again in case you want to read it. "The first 20 minutes", by Gretchen Reynolds. I read it by the pool when I was on holiday earlier in the year, very relaxing.

Anyhoo.. If the best you can come up with when you're asked to back up your 'no' statement is cry 'TROLL', then I'm out I'm afraid.

Nope, I can't do it... I wasn't going to bother honoring you with another response but...

Even the British Sports Journal refers to 'Fatigue' in studies of the effectiveness of ice baths, so maybe you'd like to explain what 'you' think it means and why you think the BSJ (and Northumbria University) are wrong to use it?

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2011/ ... 61.extract

"athletes will likely experience numerous signs and symptoms of fatigue and cellular disturbance that have the potential to reduce performance."

Genuinely my last word.. I promise.

Back