How windy does it have to be?

PurleySquire":ng4agg12 said:
Nothing to do with this season's favourite vegetable, the humble Brussels sprout. But rather, having endured a couple of rides home this week into a 15 Mph headwind, the forecast for next week goes quite a bit higher and with heavy rain too. :roll:

So at what point would you decide to take the bus/train/walk/drive/whatever. :oops:

Its all relative I guess...

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/ext ... 131220.htm

Besides, as a snow/ski/biker surely you are made of sterner stuff ;)

edited to add: Generally I can put up with Rain or Wind, not so keen on both, thats when the Turbo Trainer comes in handy.

The History Man":35w8k66o said:
Don't mind wind, but wind and rain, bugger that! I don't commute on a bike as I do 35 miles at 6.30am. Fair play to anyone who rides to work in this.

I do a 20 mile each way BUT i drive the first 14 :) park in a quiet residential street, get the bike out the back of the car, then cycle the rest. This saves me the bridge toll and fuel for 12 miles PLUS the time I might have spent on 'training' rides. Over the course of a month it really adds up -£££££££££ :shock:

However today it sounds like theres a proper hooley blowig outside so I shall be joining the ranks of Those That Live to Ride Another Day :)

DA-EVO":3rw42kyq said:
PurleySquire":3rw42kyq said:

Fair point :LOL: I should have seen that one coming a mile off.

I always take the skibike out regardless, not being able to see where you are going improves your balance and makes you appreciate the good days all the more.
Of course having gravity to assist going down and a lift to go back up take almost all the strain out of the experience.
And it's a lot easier to get warmer than it is to get drier.

There was this one particularly bad day, my so called hard-core buddies retreated to the bar and left me to face the elements on the last section still open on the mountain. At one point the gusts were so bad I had to hunker down and wait for the worst of it to pass.
They closed down all the lifts about 10 minutes later...

storm.jpg

Full story here http://www.skibike.me.uk/2013/02/nice-w ... ducks.html

In autumn here in SoCal the Santa Ana winds kick up and shoot down the canyons driving everyone insane. The gusts get so strong that forward progress stops. Also the wind shear can be very dangerous, so I don't ride in the Santa Anas.

PurleySquire":2s492ftk said:
DA-EVO":2s492ftk said:
PurleySquire":2s492ftk said:

Fair point :LOL: I should have seen that one coming a mile off.

I always take the skibike out regardless, not being able to see where you are going improves your balance and makes you appreciate the good days all the more.
Of course having gravity to assist going down and a lift to go back up take almost all the strain out of the experience.
And it's a lot easier to get warmer than it is to get drier.

There was this one particularly bad day, my so called hard-core buddies retreated to the bar and left me to face the elements on the last section still open on the mountain. At one point the gusts were so bad I had to hunker down and wait for the worst of it to pass.
They closed down all the lifts about 10 minutes later...

storm.jpg

Full story here http://www.skibike.me.uk/2013/02/nice-w ... ducks.html

I really, really, really want a go at that.

[/quote]I really, really, really want a go at that.[/quote]

PM me if you want to have a go, it is not so easy to arrange in the UK (Scotland excepted) but there's plenty of us doing this in the Alps and there is often a spare skibike.
It costs money, but then so does Alpine DH in summer and quite frankly this is a lot safer.

Been a bit drafty round here; lost our power two days ago and got it back at 3 this afternoon. We did have a false dawn last night for a couple of hours, but other than that the barbie and camping gas have been saving the day.
Everything's been out including mobile signals, :shock:, trees down all over, and flooding like I haven't seen for 40 years.
This morning I got the rods out and swept chimneys that hadn't been used for 20 years - no birds nests found- and dug in the garden for coal where I remembered it used to be, each found nugget being duly celebrated!
No telly, no screens...
Best Christmas for a while!

Latest posts

Back