How durable is clear coat on bare metal?

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm trying to decide on a new paint job for my main project this year.

Given it's a fillet brased steel frame, one option is to simple clear coat it so that the lovely fillets can be seen.

My concern is that with a more traditional paint finish there would be a primer coat under the colour which, amongst other things, helps the paint bond to the metal.

Does anyone have any experience with steel frames that have just has a clear coat applied? Are they pretty tough, or does it chip really easily?

Although this is going to probably be my most blingy build yet, its still got to be a rider so durability matters.

clear powder coat?

that way its more likely to be as clean as possible beforehand

otherwise its oxidisation all the way and peeling like pvc glue off the hands at junior school

legrandefromage":14fy47nc said:
clear powder coat?

that way its more likely to be as clean as possible beforehand

otherwise its oxidisation all the way and peeling like pvc glue off the hands at junior school

This is my concern.

If I did go that route, the first clear coat would just be the start. Can you apply paint over clear powder coat & then a coat of clear lacquer?

Re:

Hi cherrybomb
I think halfords do a ultra hard finish which is primarily used for clear coat on motor bike petrol tanks.alternatvely a good custom spray shop can supply a pre mixed (with hardner)2k lacquer in an aerosol just like the halfords aerosol. Don't be scared of using aerosols. The trick is with lacquer to build light dust coats leaving 15-20 mins in between coats.

Patience is your best friend when doing this. Then leave it for at least 2-3 weeks to give it time to cure properly. After this use t cut on a damp cloth to fine flat the coats you put on! You should end up with a result you can't believe you did with aerosols. Remember be patient and don't rush. Oh don't forget to buff off the t cut then use a good quality wax to seal it up and protect it

Re:

Thanks for the advice.

This would be done by some one who knew what they were doing as the clear coat would just be step one.

I'm more concerned that with 'normal' paint finishes you apply a base/primer coat which is formulated adhere to the base metal and form a strong bond which will resist flaking/chipping. I'm not so sure that clear coat will bond so strongly to the metal. :?

legrandefromage":2zxl615i said:
etch primer.

a clear powder coat has a cleaning process that should stop any oxidising for years

Cool. That seems to have answered one question.

So the next question is:

can you apply paint & clear coats over powder coat?

Back