How did cycling shoes get so damned expensive?

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, I've been in the cycling game since the late 80's - my first "proper" cycling shoes were the original Sidi Genius 1 (Black / Neon Green) and the year after when I got cracking in MTB's, the original Sidi Dominator's (Bright Blue / Neon Green).

Sadly, both perished in the time during the late 90's / early 00's before I returned, but I recall that the Dominator's, for example, were considered very expensive at the time (circa 1991) at around the £60-80! They were very good shoes (for the time) though, other than the yellow sole tread falling off from use....

I've just decided to invest in a new pair of Sidi Dragon 3's, as my 2 year old budget Sidi something or others weren't really cutting it, and weren't comfortable (typical narrow Sidi fit). I was extremely fortunate that I was able to acquire a set of used once Dragon 3's for a very reasonable double-digit cost from a pal, as I'd never have stumped anything between £190 and their RRP of £300 for a new pair!!

How did shoes develop into RRP's of £300+ ? (Don't get me started on the Drako's)

I grant you - they're good. Really good and really comfortable and look like a very made pair of shoes. They actually fit normal width feet for once which is a boon and I'm really happy with them - but would I have been £300 happy? I doubt it. And Specialized - £250 they want for a pretty crappy looking pair of trail - WTF? I can buy a pair of hand-made Church's brogues for less...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... lsrc=aw.ds

I just don't understand where cycling clothing got so out of control? I'm obviously equally appalled at the cost of cycling clothing from the likes of Rapha, Capo and Castelli, who demand the best part of £200 for a good set of bib shorts. I remember buying decent bib shorts from a "bargain bin" in the second small showroom in the old Condor shop in the GIR. They used to cost about a tenner from that bin, had their name down the leg and made by Caratti, and were ok - I've still got two pairs now and whilst the pad doesn't come close to matching modern shorts, they're ok.

I'm confused - how did the cycling public accept this ridiculous and massively greater than inflation hike in average prices?

(I'll step off my soap box now).

Absolutely everything to do with cycling is expensive now, even the smallest/simplest parts. Not sure when things jumped in price.

pffft, I have running shoes that cost more than that.

Picked up some dragon 3's last year for ~110 pounds new from crc

My Nike cairns retailed for US$220 back in 2000, the origianl answer accelerators were even more back inb like 94

gmac123":167dgg18 said:
btw still have a pair of dominators , the plastic green bits are all broken but can't just chuck them out :cool:

Same thing happened to mine - it was a real damn shame to bin them, but they'd become no use to man nor beast by this stage :-(

My Genius 1 also failed on the neon green plastic that had gone equally brittle with age - just doing the ratchet up after 15 years of non-use, ripped them apart and they were gone too...

Price a pair of Wires.

If you have wide feet get Megas. Sidi offers them in most of their shoes.

Re:

You don't need to sell many pairs of £300 shoes to make up for lost sales of reasonably priced ones - not when the £300 shoes cost £15 to make, which is a pretty common production to price cost ratio for the upper end of the sports shoe industry.

I've given up and ride in Hightech hiking shoes. A little heavier, but so what? The idea that you need a super stiff sole with flats is idiotic - your foot is quite stiff enough and power is transferred from the part of your foot over the pedal.

As for the myths about clipless and "pulling up" being essential for power transfer, that's the cycling industry for you - expert marketers, venal magazines and professional websites, and punters who believe anything they are told.

Re:

I had some original Sidi Genius shoes myself. Fab they were. Then I got some Technos s/h from a mate, also good fit and price. Got some black Dominators with red soles (mid '90s?), the sole peeled off those too.
As mentioned, Sidi do narrow and wide these days.
As for clothing I look around. For jerseys I try my luck on eBay. For shorts, I look for team kit in the end of season sales. Used to buy Castelli before their prices took a hike. Now use Santini, got three pairs I think, around £50 each.
But we have to find the ones right for our posteriors at the end of the day, so that's not a recommendation, just personal experience.

BTW, I only use clipless pedals, nothing to do with marketing or mags.
I also have . . . . . a 29er :oops: Shhhhhhhhh ! Why? 'Cos I can, who's to say if it's right for me or not. WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS.
Again, just personal preference.

Mike

as with the current consumer marketing trend for the latest/greatest (Apple products anyone? :roll:), wait till the end of the season or product life cycle and get them at significant reduced clearance prices.

Back