Hope Big 'Un 20mm QR Axle...Or Not

Andy

Mine is just a tube, the axle runs through it and the bearings just interference fit to hold it in place.... It can wiggle up and down in the hub shell if you take the axle out.

The top hats are asymmetrical, one side is slightly longer than the other so you can space the wheel to accommodate the brake calliper....

I'll pull it out and take pics for you but you don't have my kit in any of your pics....

Im unsure if the tube ,with the bearings and bolt through spacers are big un :? but is that what you meant by the 'tube' or do you mean it looks like the bulb QR converter (only i think its extended both sides to the bulbs disc side only :?)

MrP sold a similar one to the top slid axle with the red spacers, and its where i got the idea this was big un and not tandem or something the chap made himelf.

Bottom 2 im thinking are the big un solid rear and the cut down for the No2 caliper ,just basically as theyre the same diameters as the front and look very similar.

Attachments

• Hope Big Un 002 (Custom).JPG
    Hope Big Un 002 (Custom).JPG
    68 KB · Views: 877
The second one down is the same as my kit, minus the rubber ring around the centre....

The top looks like the big un qr kit I stupidly sold a few years back... Minus the bearings of course ...

Re: Hope Big 'Un 20mm QR Axle...Or Not

Speaking about just jacques's images, I have some front BigUn hubs.
In this image, you could see what I call a Gen1 BigUn: fat hub centre, the red is QR, the silver is 20 mm. As you can see , this silver one has two top hat adapters, plus the bearings are pressed directly into the hub's sides, and a spacer tube fitting snugly between the bearings. In fact, I converted the red QR one to 20 mm by buying correct bearings, plus two Bulb 20mm top hat adapter, and carefully cutting a 20mm ID alloy tube ( seatpost) to the correct lenght.

In this image, you see what I call a 2nd gen Bigun ( slim hub centre): the adapter is much more comlex: two conical side adapters, bearings on a shoulder of the adapters, all the asembly fitting INSIDE the center tube.

Hope this helps.

Dynati, perhaps you will be willing to part with the rear bolt-on axles? Just le me know,
thanks.

BTW, i don't need the red QR parts, if someone needs them..

Alberto.

Attachments

• IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 866
  • IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 865
boxxer":1r5as7fy said:
Id take them if you def don't need them? Always wanted the option to convert mine back!

On you go matey , ive far too many :LOL:
I put the O-ring around the tube as my others have them and theres a little bit of a groove there too. Stops the inner support tube from rattling about annoyingly .
(Lidl O-rings big box of all sizes. Been a godsend to have)

Sure, no probs on the short axle but measure first and dont assume its correct just because its shorter. If this little exercise has taught me anything it is that its all different :facepalm: . eg ive bulb and ti glide shorts axles and many of them are cut to different lengths :?
That said the big un ones arent cut by a shop and look more like as it was made like that,so chances are it will be correct but double checking isnt going to hurt.
Do you have the frame bolt ? Fitted would give you the new width.

Dynati, by looking at a bulb exploded view ( bulb should stand for Big Un Little Brother, in rather typical Hope-esque lingo) i became persuaded that the two bottom axles in your last image are QR rear Bigun axles.

If so, they would not suit me: i'm currently looking for a way to convert my Qr rear hubs to 135x12 solid axle.....

Thanks nonetheless,
Alberto

I could possibly handle that. :? I think ive a bulb bolt through rear spindle tube thingy. I think ive also the spacers and bearings for it. Ill need to have a rummage :D
The spacers i probably have, the problem is identifying them :? theres so many different types, sizes and thicknesses its hard to work out what is what without advice.

So :D the ball is now in your court and you'll toddle off to find a few pics of what the spacers actually look like in real life and ill see if they match any of the ones i have.
Thats your homework ;)

Incidentally to all concerned.

Ive put the red 25mm converter up on ebay. ive another should one of the hubs ever wander near my door.
99p no reserve
To anyone non uk that wants this let me know and have an ask for someone uk to bid for you. Sorry its listed as uk only so you probably couldnt bid but i didnt want it going to someone outside of here.

Back