Home made MTB tandem - It made it to the pub! - Pics page 4

Mock up

Just used a jubilee clip to connect the frames and inadvertently created a folding tandem!
Bottom bracket heights look ok, considering how to build in some length for the stoker.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,496
Re: Mock up

s1monf":r3a7r1p4 said:
Just used a jubilee clip to connect the frames and inadvertently created a folding tandem!

Careful... Boris will be supporting the 'bendy bike' for London ;)

It doesn't look too wrong - I'd just add time trial bars like Cinelli LA84 (or flat bars with bar ends) for the stoker. The hand holds will then end up either side of the saddle. However, you don't have to worry about knee clearance when turning.

On most tandems there is never enough room for the stoker, who always ends up sitting rather upright. However, drop the stoker further and his / her nose ends up right against the captain's back (or worse), pr the tandem gets so long as to be unmanageable.

My stoker has more than enough room, had to fit an inline post and turn the bars backwards and extend the stoker stem so she could reach. On the other hand, she's only 5 ;)

I'd best patent the design before Boris sees it!

I was thinking of track bars on a 50mm stem for the stoker, this would also mean that they could be reversed for my wife should she be daft enought to get on it.

I could do with a seatpost with plenty of layback or designing some kind of clamp so that it could be inserted behind the seat tube. I'm guessing the latter would put too much stress on the rear triangle though.

Now decided to run with 42 tooth timing rings with the rear being run as a fourth ring on the stoker's crank as per Sheldon. Just need to find a cheap 50/40/30 (or similar) crank for the rear.

One other way to do it is to get the pedal threads helicoiled with the correct thread for tandems. Chris Bell at Highpath did some fantastic custom crank conversions for me for the tandems (110mm cranks for my kids).

www.highpath.net

If you want a chainset I can offer you 28/38/48 Thun Alu rings on a Shimano LX M550 (110pcd) for £20 posted.

Cheers Hamster, I already have an STX RC crank and a collection of rings from 22T up to 48T and they are all 104 pcd so in the interests of changeability I'd like a crankset of that size.

you will need some extra tubing to fill that in. try straight gauge DT 35mm
Gara:http://www.ceeway.com/Gara.htm
1500mm is aroudn £30.

For tig - You may want to use a standard copper coated tig rod (1.5mm) or a disimilar steel road if they are Cr mang tubes.

I would actually go with brazing myself so you can get a good join where you are using head tub/seat tube. either a sif 101 rod or a sif 2 rod (1.6mm) you can build some good fillets.

Good notes for bike welding set up are here:
http://www.nimbuscycles.co.uk/Welding_Notes.pdf

Search online for tube mitre software as either way your additional tubes are going to need to fit well.

Drop me a line if you want any frame buildign tips. or look on this forum:
http://www.frameforum.org/forum3/index.php

Best of luck with the build.

Thanks for the heads up on where to get the tubing.

With regards to the welding, my mate has access to time served tig welders at work so we're going to run with that as it's free and it all seems like black magic to me! :?:

Just had a look at your Aston frame dood, looks great. :twisted:

Back