Holdsworth Cyclone '72 - '74 Nearly There

Oh ok.....not original then. Good to know and thanks for the feedback. Difficult to know what to do though as the re-lacquer will enable it to function in the elements. The paint was just too fragile to leave untouched. I'm happy either way and feel it's been sympathetically brought back from the dead/shed but apologies if I've offended

RD says Patent 73 if memory serves. FD is Suntour Cyclone. I think the Gipiemme chainset or bb had 74 stamped on it but have to check in the morning.

I checked the catalogues when I first got it last year. The Cyclone (it has a waterslide decal on the top tube) was only available as a frame by this point and disappeared a couple of years later I think. The head badge is riveted of course.

It was an absolute mess when I got it so 100% confident the paint and decals were original.

Frame number is 41801 under BB and forks but didn't have much luck researching a year from this. Any ideas?

Back in the 70's we put kit on frames that were hand me downs, what we liked the look of, followed fashion or got cheap soi could be a mix of anything :)

The concept of the groupset was for the rich and pro teams....

Shaun

oh...and thanks for the second link. I don't think I've seen that before.

Not really any good pics of Cyclone's though unless I missed something.

Thanks Midlife - it's the Pyrma saddle that surprised me most. I can't see a date stamp unfortunately.
Would you have been building up your own ride around this time or did you buy off the peg?

Most of the club guys bought frames and kit, not really off the peg. Going back just before me I'm sure there was extra tax on bikes but not in the bits which put people buying full bikes.

Shaun

This thread has some good insight on Holdsworth frame numbers

viewtopic.php?t=139293

A bit of guesswork but my frame 41801 seems about right for '74 or even '75?

According to nkilgariff "The Cyclone was offered in 1975, but was dropped from the range by (or during) 1976"

Back