Hifi advice

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Yes, you read right, I'm after advice and I dont want AVForums BS which is why I'm asking here.

I blew the tweeters in my Mission 753, which is like snapping a Yeti C-26, the tweeters are made of unobtainium, they only exist in other peoples speakers and are only available if they sell them, cheap (less than £100).

So, I have available to me the following:

Front speakers:

Richard Allan RA-8

Miller & Kriesel LCR-55 & VX-7 sub

Mission 700

Bose 301 series III

Amplification:

Sansui AU-507 65w per channel twin mono, twin transformer

Pioneer SX 605 65w per channel

Onkyo Integra M5030 power amp (needs repair) 100w per channel, twin transformer

Kenwood power amp

A&R Cambridge P60 power amp (about 40w)

Surround processor

TAG McLaren AV32R prototype

Technics SH-AC500D (rare as rocking horse poo standalone DTS/ DD processor)

I watch alot of films on Sky and lots of DVDs. My music is very electronic based ranging from Jean Michele Jarre to Ozric Tentacles so bass and imaging must be good.

I've got some Bose Accoustimas wired in as surrounds and they are happy.

The living room is undergoing a refresh and I'm just wandering what the hell to do.

It like having loads of frames and bike parts but nothing fits...

Well you gotta use the Tag! They are great :)

Have you thought about just replacing the tweeters?
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?cat ... w=Tweeters
You can spend more if you shop about.

Plenty around, and tbh, some are prolly be better than mission OEM ;) may need to tweak them in a little for level/crossover, but thats just fun.

Regarding the rest, not sure, but could envisage a big stack of hifi, a few beers, a heap of wire, some Pink Floyd, Leftfield, Portishead, Fleetwood Mac, and Chesky Jazz :)

hmm, want a hand? Will bring some bits over too :)

Are 753s the big brother of 751s ? Could the tweeters be swapped?, 751s come up on the bay quite often, you might get lucky with the price, and you know i'll buy a working woofer from you when you are done.

The Ken":2rgg49nm said:
Are 753s the big brother of 751s ? Could the tweeters be swapped?, 751s come up on the bay quite often, you might get lucky with the price, and you know i'll buy a working woofer from you when you are done.

Yes, but the bass drivers are different. They are also the big bro's of 752 which even though made up of the same ingredients, are snapped up by the Valve brigade.

The Ken":2rgg49nm said:
this might be useful in the future, no tweeters left though but the do have a 753 tweeter diaphram...

http://www.technosound.co.uk/eShop/ssMission.html#753f

they also have my driver unit ....for £49, I can get a pair of speakers for £75

''no longer available'' :cry:

gump":1fwe8fey said:
Well you gotta use the Tag! They are great :)

Have you thought about just replacing the tweeters?
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?cat ... w=Tweeters
You can spend more if you shop about.

Plenty around, and tbh, some are prolly be better than mission OEM ;) may need to tweak them in a little for level/crossover, but thats just fun.

Regarding the rest, not sure, but could envisage a big stack of hifi, a few beers, a heap of wire, some Pink Floyd, Leftfield, Portishead, Fleetwood Mac, and Chesky Jazz :)

hmm, want a hand? Will bring some bits over too :)

You are welcome to pop over with a case of beers one sunday afternoon and see what hangs together.

These speakers were designed for Leftfield, surely? :LOL: Anyway, unfortunately the tweeters in these are mylar but were crucial for the 'sound' endowed on this design. They were perfect for fast beats and big bass with their tweeters actually quite good quality and just as good as the mylar KEF T27 or Celestion HF-1300 which themselves have achieved legendary status.

I wish I hadnt sold my PMC LB-1 but they paid for last Christmas ;)

THe M&K stuff is impressive but at 4 Ohm, a bit of a load and needs a good powerful amp to make the most of the, The M&K sub is tiny but, whoa! It can dig deep.

I'm not a fan of the new stuff as its not made to as high standard of old and to reach that , you'd have to fork out huge amounts of money (something the GF will not allow...).

The Ken":17yza0eb said:
is the tweeter diaphram not enough? a man of your skills and a pritt stick?

the diaphragms are listed as 'no longer available'. I've already checked my stock of spares to see what would fit.

Back