Hi, newbie question

Boltron99

Retro Newbie
Hello ,

I'd like to say hi , Martin here :)

I moved house recently and when I came to emptying the loft in the old house , I'd forgot I had put some old frames n bits and pieces up there :)

I rediscover my Raleigh dyna tec frame :)

Thinking rather than let it rot , I could rebuild it and use for weekend rides maybe.. :)

Did a search on raleigh dyna ti's and ended here... Cool site :)

Couple of questions , and forgive me If I've posted this in the wrong section :)

Would it be safe to use as its a bonded frame ? and quite a few years old :) any advice greatly appreciated :)

Thinking if it is ok to use, I'd like to fit some suspension forks and disc brakes :) , as I do remember the brakes were terrible :) :( , does it matter what sort of suspension fork I choose ?

Also where's best place to sell bits and piece's ? , ebay ? as I've a box or two with cycle bits I'm not going to use and could use this money to buy the suspension forks and brakes :)

ebay I presume ?

Any help would be great :)

I've tried to post a photo of my frame but say the files too big so , I'll have to come back to this one :)

Right, I'm off to have a cuppa and looks at the bikes in here :)

Martin :)

Re: Hi

Hi Martin,
The frame will be fine to use, they are pretty strong and loads of people on here ride them without issue.
You can use pretty much any fork from the era without any worries so long as the steerer tube on the fork is the correct diameter and is long enough for your frame. Modern forks with loads of travel would not only upset the handling, but would look garbage. :)
As for the brakes, there's no need for the expense of discs, V type brakes would lock up any wheel and are lighter and much cheaper, plus they'd suit it better.
Now for selling your bits...the best place is of course on here in the 'For Sale' forum! Members here say you need to host your pics on a photo website before you can post them, although I can do it straight from my PC for some reason, but not my phone.
Cheers and welcome,
Mart.
P.s. Of course I now get first look at what you're selling for being so helpful. :LOL:

Re:

Thanks for the info and guidance :) hotwheels :)

Why not disc ? the rim brakes I had were truly awful, even had some hydro ones somewhere and they just ate the rim and didn't work in the wet ? so I assumed that disc would be the way ? no ?

would 120mm forks not work ? as I've seen some nice fox things ?

Oh! and yep I'll give you sneak in the boxes when I sort the bits out :) I have an old road frame too , holdsworth iirc are they of any interest to members here ?

Re:

What is the axle to crown length of the original forks?: https://www.bikecad.ca/taxonomy/term/52

If the original forks are ~390mm, which was standard for 26" wheeled MTBs with non suspension corrected geometry, fitting longer forks may upset the steering and make it feel odd. Wheel flop may be an issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_a ... e_geometry

Also, does the frame have mounts for disc brakes? If not, fitting discs will be an issue, easy enough on the front if you change the forks, but trickier on the rear. I have some Shimano Deore V-brakes and they're plenty stoppy enough for me.

If you want modern long travel suspension forks and disc brakes, it will be a lot easier if you start with a modern frame.

Re:

For a start, your frame has no rear disc mount. As for forks the geometry will accept no more than 80mm travel max to avoid making the steering truly sloppy. I'd settle for decent v's or even cantis if it suits the year? What year is the frame? Build it as it was, if not, get a modern bike with disc brakes.

Re:

:) Thanks for the advice , looks like a disc brakes are out then as the frame has nothing like that :( , I remember having the frame stripped of pain and the cable stops went adrift and had to modify the brake holding bit :) :(

looks like those fox forks are out then , they looked cool too :) :(

Had a dig out of one box and managed to get some pics :)

still got a rake more of tyres :shock: and parts in boxes, not sure but think I'm heading towards the modern route as I like the idea of a modern bike after talking to a mate down the road :)

Any thoughts ?

Re:

I think you are in the wrong place for opinions on retro or modern. That said, I've got my feet in both camps. I've a few retro bikes in the collection, a few of which I'll not part with. They are great to ride a d look at, and certainly don't look as generic as current bikes do. That said, there is nothing wrong with modern bikes in terms of capability. I think a lot could be said about clever marketing trying to sell you the next best idea, but I certainly enjoy a modern bike on occasion. The biggest challenge will be to decide what wheel size you want. Good luck.

Back