HG chain or KMC

severnthheathen":1w6y9pla said:
This is interesting: well to me it is. So if I'm struggling to find NOS rings for my 7 speed STX RC chainset I could swap to a 9 speed chainset with a 9 speed chain and keep the 7 speed screw-on freewheel at the back. Am I right or am I right????

Plenty of rings available new: Stronglight or TA. They are way better than Shimano (they use machined teeth for starters, Shimano STX were stamped) and last 3x-5x longer.

Try Spa Cycles.

Re:

I've been running a 9speed (SRAM PC991) chain on a cheapo CS-HG20-7speed cassette for a couple of years, commuting 330Kms per week through most seasonal conditions. I have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I've run a variety of 7, 8 and 9speed chains on 7 and 8speed cassettes in the past. KMC chains are good and solid but the magic link is a real pain to undo for cleaning and maintenance. I stick to the same SRAMS as they're tried and trusted chains and their magic link is a breeze to undo and refit.

Minifreak":fw9t6kei said:
Nice STX chainset on U.K. eBay under item number 132039609123

Beware, that's the type that had non-standard rings (95mm pcd not 94) with the granny tabs welded to the middle. Replacements are unobtainable.

Cheap for a reason...

hamster":3hgiit6o said:
Minifreak":3hgiit6o said:
Nice STX chainset on U.K. eBay under item number 132039609123

Beware, that's the type that had non-standard rings (95mm pcd not 94) with the granny tabs welded to the middle. Replacements are unobtainable.

Cheap for a reason...

Unless you have a couple of the nifty Pace adapters that is. ;)

Re:

How about IG vs HG chains?
My STX Lavadome crankset says "IG chain only" and i always followed this but it seems genuine Shimano IG are getting harder to find. I believe there may be fakes on ebay (too cheap, dodgy looking packaging with not-quite-right typeface and even spelling mistakes). I have casually trawled Shimano distributors in person when visiting bike shops in both Malaysia (where some Shimano is manufactured) and Japan but cannot find any IG anymore and staff always says "HG only" when i ask.
The rear cassette is (and was from new) 7 speed HG so Kona mixed components or IG is relevent to front rings only (?).

I bought an IG on ebay a while ago but i'' now due for a change and not sure can get genuine shimano IG anymore, so will probably have to fit a HG.

Has anyone here had practical experience of running HG chain on IG chainset and is there any appreciable difference in front shift quality?

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that running a 9 speed chain on a 7 or 8 speed set up gives no problems. Nine speed didn't exist when STX hit the market and those little stickers were put on the big ring! Evidently, it's all to do with the OVERALL width of the plates. The gap between them is constant on all derailleur chains at 3/32". The 9 speed chain runs sweetly between the sprockets and chainrings gaps on the 7 or 8 speed system.
So, 20 something years on, there's now no need to stress about the HG versus IG issue.

Re:

OK thanks, though i doubt internal / external widths are the only technical difference between HG and IG as both were available simultaneously back in the '90s. If it were only about widths and HG is comparable with IG in that respect, why make IG at all and clearly specify compatibility on the chainset?
Granted, any difference would appear to be minor, apon examining both types i do notice the edges of the IG outer link plates are shamfered slightly differently whereby the IG edge is thinner than the HG (on the two chains i am holding and examining at least), perhaps to engage more easily or fit better the lifting tabs on the IG chainrings. That's why i'm wondering if using HG chain on IG chainset may affect shift quality.
I don't really doubt that a HG chain would work but i find it enjoyable to understand technical details fully. Manufacturers usually do things for a reason even if us consumers are not fully appraised of what or why. I have noticed over the years that in many different engineering applications, maintaining specs as originally designed often works better than making changes and trying to second guess the designers.
As for the apparent deletion of IG chains, that could simply be a case of Shimano having eventually abandoned the format in their spares suppy 'chain'.
Has anyone ridden HG chain on their formerly IG equipped bike and can comment on relative shift quality?
Thanks and seasons greetings :)

Re:

Can I just clarify, am I better sticking with 6-7-8 chain for 7 speed/ 3 front ring Biopace, or might I actually experience better shifting with the narrower chain?

After my first chainsnap ever, want to get it right!

Latest posts

Back