Here's to you - unsung heroes - We still love you...

ededwards":18zhs0p3 said:
I'm really saddened that several seem to feel no love at all for their first bike, the one that got them into the sport

I am a extremely nostalgic person, and I have plenty of love for my first bike [Huffy Revolution] .. but it was, for lack of a better way of putting it, a real POS. It certainly didn't warrant restoration, upgraded parts, or an entry in a contest. It never destined to be "classic" or have an online kult following... it was just an old bike that begrudgingly did work when extremely provoked.

I would hope no one would want me soiling the interweb with photos of it.

Some things should just be kept personal, IMO.

ameybrook":2lluzb7v said:
ededwards":2lluzb7v said:
I'm really saddened that several seem to feel no love at all for their first bike, the one that got them into the sport

I am a extremely nostalgic person, and I have plenty of love for my first bike [Huffy Revolution] .. but it was, for lack of a better way of putting it, a real POS. It certainly didn't warrant restoration, upgraded parts, or an entry in a contest. It never destined to be "classic" or have an online kult following... it was just an old bike that begrudgingly did work when extremely provoked.

I would hope no one would want me soiling the interweb with photos of it.

Some things should just be kept personal, IMO.

Good to hear that you have a soul Mike ;)

More seriously, I wouldn't necessarily post my first bike (Marin Palisades in case any one wants to know) and I certainly wouldn't trick it out as I didn't at the time. But I don't think that was the original posters point, I think he was saying that some of what nowadays we think of as more prosaic bikes were really solid and deserving of some respect - I certainly hope that it won't lead to a spate of blinged up Muddy Fox's (although I wouldn't mind seeing some of those pointless wheel covers!).

given you dont know me from adam thats pretty funny

C'mon my friend - with >7K posts we can't help but think we all know you by now.

Scant: are you happy?

Granny ring spacers are nice in their own way, but when did you last really enjoy riding an old bicycle?

:?

doctor-bond":cotcqnql said:

Granny ring spacers are nice in their own way, but when did you last really enjoy riding an old bicycle?

I'm not going to fight another man's battle, but I'll say (and I'm certain Scant will agree) that for experienced riders, old bikes suck. :shock:

Of course thats not a blanket statement, but I've found for the most part, all the vintage bike restos I've completed (suspended and unsuspended) pale in comparison to my modern hardtail. But I ride long, fast, and aggressive on every ride. I can absolutely appreciate someone else tooling around on smooth singletrack on their rigid whatever with 7-speed.*

@Ed - I'm :? at the soul comment. Just because I'm a bike snob and dont always agree with the bikes posted on RB, doesn't mean I'm a heartless jerk.

*It should be known I put more time on my rigid Trek this fall than my suspended hardtail. Only because the smooth singletrack of New Mexico allowed me to carry max speed

doctor-bond":1alnpvs9 said:
given you dont know me from adam thats pretty funny

C'mon my friend - with >7K posts we can't help but think we all know you by now.

:?

you're scaring me now ;)

My first MTB as an '88 Rockhopper, in yellow and the statutory size 21.5". It had 18spd Exage somethingorother and a U-brake. I pimped it with a 150mm, zero rise T-bone stem, profile durango bars, farmer john tyres and pink toeclips.

If I saw one on the station bikerack now I'd give it an admiring glance. However if I saw one on ebay I'd have little inclination to buy and restore it.

Just my 2p.

I just recieved this PM from a regular poster:

u act like u know me?
or are you just a stalker Wink

Not sure I understand. What am I missing?

How far do Retrobikers have to 'know' each other before they are allowed to post opinions?

This is a public forum. You say things by typing words in and anyone else can read those opinions and respond.

What is a stalker?

:? :?:

doctor-bond":2uftxn6v said:
This is a public forum. You say things by typing words in and anyone else can read those opinions and respond.

I think that poster is saying you took it a step far by making it personal.

I'm with the OP on this one*, chappeaux auld POS's :LOL: take each bike on its own merits rather than the $$$factor.

*except for the Klein bit :| :LOL:

Back