Help with identification after painting

wbbigdave

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I recently snagged what I believe to be a bit of a bargain in terms of a vintage bike. I picked it up from ebay and was very pleased to see the full components when I got it, however, I am unable to tell what the heck kind of bike it is, as at some point in it's past an owner decided to paint it with what appears to be blue gloss and a decorators brush.

I have had a quick look for a serial number and didn't see it, so I thought I would turn to the experts with some pictures. I only have a few which might give it away, i.e the front forks with a weird lug, and the general shape. Hopefully you will be able to help. :)

Attachments

• Front brake crop.jpg
    Front brake crop.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 583
  • Profile 2_lower quality.jpg
    Profile 2_lower quality.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 578
The weird lug is a lamp bracket. As a general (but not absolute) guide it tends to be on more ordinary bikes as lightweights tended to omit it.

Photos of the rear dropouts, bottom bracket and seat cluster detail help best with identification.

Re:

Here we go then...

Attachments

• Saddle_1280.jpg
    Saddle_1280.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 569
  • Crankset_1280.jpg
    Crankset_1280.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 569
  • Rear deraulier_1280.jpg
    Rear deraulier_1280.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 569
  • Dropout_crop.jpg
    Dropout_crop.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 568
I'd guess at late 70's to early 80s. What's puzzling is that it appears to be fillet brazed (joins look a bit fat for TIG) with shot-in stays. That suggests something a bit on the classier side. Not sure of the forks are original to it. The lack of cable and gear stops would suggest earlier, almost all TIG frames seem to have gear and cable stops.

In all probability the frame decals are under all that thick paint (but it has done its job and protected them). Rubbing it down with 400 grade would be tedious but the best way to find out.

Others are better experienced and will offer better judgments.

Re:

My eventual plan is to strip it back, hopefully find the serial number and see if I can find it. But didn't want to rub it back unnecessarily, need to make sure im good to go with all my painting before that. Trying to find time to restore a bike which was purchased under the guise of "Run around" may not fly with the wife either :)

Re:

The forks look to me to be totally different, probably older and cheapish, but steel. You can't braze on a lamp bracket boss on to alloy forks.

Keith

Re:

Found that there was a serial number down here. But it's very painted over.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 499
Viscount:)

file.php

Shaun

Back