help me ID my frame

davejames12

Retro Newbie
I have a 24" chrome molybdenum frame which is branded as having been supplied by Henry Burton in Stafford. However on contacting them they state the frame number is not one of their own in house frames. It would appear to be one bought in or supplied by the original customer for a build, and Burtons therefore do not have any record of the number. The components on the bike vary and have obviously been reolaced repaired etc over the years but the oldest is I believe the Shimano 600 Arabesque gear levers. ( Possibly the least likely part to break or wear so never changed. ) The front hub, laced to a rim bearing the original Burton sticker is a 1970s Normandy item, dated by specific design. So believe the bike to originate from 70s ( I bought it 1990 and it was old then ). Best clue will be the frame number, in an odd format of M 1 L 5 4 3 7 1 ( Are the last 2 the year ) Anyone have any idea as to the origin from the number, please please let me know. Will upload some photos of lugs and stays etc once I have worked out how to navigate the site !

Back