Help identifying Diamondback road bike

andy3809

Dirt Disciple
Evening all,

Picked up this Diamondback road bike from a nice chap who had decided to pass it on. It say Diamondback Monza but google doesn’t bare any fruit. He did mention that is was a team bike at one point.

Any ideas on age or any other info? Would love to rebuild in original spec

Many thanks

Andy

Attachments

• AC51416E-F709-4BF6-A402-78195F2217E2.jpeg
    AC51416E-F709-4BF6-A402-78195F2217E2.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 441
Re:

It's a cyclo cross bike, rather than a pure road bike.
With the correct tyres, it can still be used as a road bike

Re:

I've also got a Diamondback Monza road bike. I've spent ages trying to work out its history but not got very far. There seem to be other Diamondback bikes of the same era named after other racetracks with lower grade tubes + components (e.g hockenheim)

Mine is Columbus Altec 2+ tubing

Attachments

• IMG_20180512_121904041.jpg
    IMG_20180512_121904041.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 336
Re:

Nick Craig used to ride diamond back as a pro. I think he runs (ran?) A bike shop in Whaley bridge, Derbyshire. If there's more than one bike shop, I don't know which. Might be worth a Google and a call to see if anything comes to light

I've got a Diamond Back Monza which I've owned since new.
Mine came with an Ultegra 6500 groupset (9spd) and Mavic Cosmic wheels.
I think I bought it in about 2001.
Mine has a full carbon fork but I don't think they all came with this.

Attachments

• _OB44992.jpg
    _OB44992.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 10
Check the head tube badge.
Check the bottom bracket shell for a number (or name).
My Raleigh SBDU team CX bike started life as a yellow Diamond Back Monza (was the only stickers they could get hold of) but was a custom 853 Raleigh CX frame through and through... (And was originally made for N. Craig...)

alone by the decal with Daimondback as one word, you can date the bike younger than 1997, before it had been two separated words.
Approx. 2001 like the one from @jezzez might be a good start point to look for the age.

Re:

Nick Craig used to ride diamond back as a pro. I think he runs (ran?) A bike shop in Whaley bridge, Derbyshire. If there's more than one bike shop, I don't know which. Might be worth a Google and a call to see if anything comes to light
Whaley Bridge (the bike factory) is Fred Salmons place, he still (to the best of my knowledge!) owns the place. Has done for best part of 20 years.
Nick Craig works for Scott. (And rode for Diamond back racing when it was under the Raleigh group management.)
I've had a closer look at the original image, and all the lugs, braze ons, forks look exactly the same as those on my SBDU frame.

Back