Help identifying a 60s Bianchi

chrisberty

Dirt Disciple
Is there any Bianchi buffs out there that can tell me a bit about this one I just picked up? From the components I can put it to early to mid 60s. I imagine its an original build.

Full 531 frame and fork. Simplex dropouts. The downtube reads "Bianchi Aquilotto", and the seat tube has a Bianchi transfer as well as "Bellin Sport" slightly further up. Flamboyant green over chrome.

GB Ventoux handlebars
Durax chainset
Campagnolo Nuovo Record gearing
Universal Mod. 61 centre pulls
Mavic rims on Campagnolo hubs
Gnutti headset

I can't find any serial number on the frame at all apart from "201" on the LH rear dropout. Ive never been in to Italian bikes, English lightweights are more my cup of tea, although this one just caught my eye.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/134767780@N03/JN0256/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/gp/134767780@N03/Vf0e45/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/gp/134767780@N03/637089/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/gp/134767780@N03/977V6X/img]

Not sure if those pictures are going to work

Not convinced this is bianchi, looks a lot better made. Are those Nervex lugs and fork crown?

The down tube transfer could have come from a Bianchi motorbike.
The bottom bracket threading could be a clue, but the chrome looks too good for French or Italian of the 60s, also internal rear brake cable would be later.

Gnutti headset is an oddity too.
If the seat tube is 1 1/8 inch the seat pillar should be 27.2mm for butted 531.

Keith

Re:

The seat post is indeed a 27.2mm. And I've just measured the width of the BB shell at 68mm, which if I'm not mistaken means it's not an Italian thread?

Re:

It looks far more like a class british lightweight from the 60/70s, but odd that it has older type nervex lugs and Simplex ends. And very few used the Nervex crown. The Durax cranks usually fitted French axles and had 9mm cotters. TA rings I always thought better than Campagnolo. Perhaps the frame was refinished in the 70s.

Far better frame than most 1960s Bianchi were, they were the nearest Italian equivalent to Raleigh.

Keith

The fork crown matches the lug set. Not an unusual selection of ends for a small builder, except that by the time this was built most specified campagnolo or compatibles.

Shaun, I used copy and paste (ctrl C and ctrl V) for the URL.

Keith

As a public service I will attach the photos.

This is an odd one for sure. Definitely looks older than '60s to me, and the Nuovo Record mech is almost certainly a replacemnt. But what has me stumped is that the decals and finish look original but with simplex drops and 531 tubing, just does not jibe.

As mentioned above the Aquilotto is a Bianchi moped so even stranger in my book.

It looks a little like a Cinelli Riveria only not...

Attachments

• Bianchi Aquilotto 4.jpg
    Bianchi Aquilotto 4.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 693
  • Bianchi Aquilotto 3.jpg
    Bianchi Aquilotto 3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 693
  • Bianchi Aquilotto 2.jpg
    Bianchi Aquilotto 2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 693
  • Bianchi Aquilotto 1.jpg
    Bianchi Aquilotto 1.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 693
Re:

The rear derailleur states "pat.81" so that isn't original. I can't find any other marks anywhere apart from that "201" on the LH rear dropout. If it was a nervex lug set, wouldn't it be stamped into, say the BB shell? I've got a few bikes from this era with nervex lugs and they're all stamped up. As for the 531, are there any other ways of proving it is or not?

The decals do look original. Although the transfer on he headtube is a very recent addition, and has two holes vertically lined up for a headbadge.

The frame looks about 1960, but the internal rear brake cable and rear brake bridge look much later. Perhaps it had an extensive rebuild and chrome plate about 1980.

If you have a right hand thread both sides of the bottom bracket it could be French.
Perhaps an engineering student built it from what he could lay his hands on. The lug set looks 1950s. Very few UK frame builders used the Nervex fork crown, most users preferred the appearance of a cast crown though the Nervex pressed and welded crown was probably stronger.

And it is not a Bianchi moped.

Keith

Back