Hello all I need help please

P!LGR!M

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I am about to attempt to restore an old bike I brought and think it may be a Claud Butler but not sure as the numbers are different to what I have seen in this forum.

The story goes like this... I always had racers many years ago when I was younger and have been thinking about getting another for a while now but didn't really want to buy a new one. So last week I pop to see an old friend about something and he has an old racer sat on his drive, what you doing with that I said? nothing much he said why do you want it?. I say yes how much do you want for it, give me £25 he said so I promptly took my axe out of my pocket and took his hand off.

I know very little about makes and models etc but the guy over the road from me does a bit with racers etc and hes currently doing up an old Rally one he has, so I ask him how old do you think this bike is?. He looks and says that looks pretty old to me and it looks like a Claud Butler, so I jump on the old tinterwebs and end up here :).

I have had a good look through the threads and the number identification thread but to be fair theres a lotto look at and I can see the woods for the trees, that said most of what I have seen seem to have 6 digit numbers and are on the bottom underside of the pedals. My one has no numbers at all there, there is a five digit number above the forks. I will try attach a picture here and am hoping someone can help me identify it so I can do it justice in restoring it as original as possible, thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• BIKE (23).jpg
    BIKE (23).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 777
  • BIKE (2).jpg
    BIKE (2).jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 777
Re:

Definitely a challenging project there but would be great rescued. Lots of support advice and parts in the road section.

Re:

Hi thanks,

Well im gonna need some advice I tell ya, the handle bar stem is totally seized and the cotter pins also. I really want to know what bike it is so I can get the proper parts for it, I have more pictures so will put some more up later, does anyone know the size limits per post for picture attachments.

There's a mish mash of parts on it but from what I can see a good few things are French, Mafac brakes, Simplex and Huret mechs and gear levers so that might be a direction to look.

There's certainly plenty of Claud Butler knowledge on here so someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Either way you're brave taking that on, I thought I'd bought some rusty old things back from the brink but hats off to you and good luck with it

Re:

Yes it could prove a bit of a challenge especially as I do not have a bike holder frame thing to keep it steady. I am mainly worried about getting the handle bars out, if I have to destroy them I am unsure if I can buy another, sorry not handle bars but the stem with the CB logon on where they go through. I have had a quick look around the internet for replacement nuts and bolts but cant see anywhere really. Here are some more pics so hopefully someone can help identify it and the age of it also, I think this bike may have been a gold/brown colour as there is a tiny piece of what looks to be that coloured paint in under the seat in pic 11.

Attachments

• BIKE (11).jpg
    BIKE (11).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 728
  • BIKE (13).jpg
    BIKE (13).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 728
  • BIKE (6).jpg
    BIKE (6).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 728
Not a Claud Butler.
On the top of the handlebar stem there is a hexagon bolt head. Undo 3 or 4 turns, then hit it downwards. This is the expander bolt, and how to release it. The handlebar stem will probably still be stuck, but you are now in with a chance.

Keith

keithglos":2zhiwq6e said:
Not a Claud Butler.
On the top of the handlebar stem there is a hexagon bolt head. Undo 3 or 4 turns, then hit it downwards. This is the expander bolt, and how to release it. The handlebar stem will probably still be stuck, but you are now in with a chance.

Keith
Might be a Raleigh?

If you can, do the headset back up first as it will at least locate the front forks whilst you're trying to release the handlebar stem.

Also, coat pretty much every part that you want to separate (including the handlebar stem) with penetrating fluid, leave it a day then repeat. And repeat. And again.

If the cotter pin nuts end up coming undone, don't forget to:
1) measure their length and diameter before proceeding - you are going to need new ones and those will look a mess by the time they come out.
2) support the crank as you attempt to knock them out otherwise you are likely to destroy the bottom bracket cups.

Also, unless this has great sentimental value, be kind to yourself and check your favourite auction sites for a better starting point before you pour a tonne of money into a fairly average looking bike. For the cost of the many new parts you are going to need for this you could have something with a decent frame and alloy wheels. This one has all the characteristics of a world of pain.

hamster":192mslh6 said:
I would suspect the stem is a GB, probably hard to see under the general grubbiness.

Yes, one of the post-spearpoint ones, slightly 'rounded' in design but pre-allen key bolts.

Re:

Thanks for the help and advice all, after a better look at the initials on the top of the stem and they look like GB so I will look for GB frame numbers and have a google of who GB are. I have no sentimentality in it I just saw it at my freinds and asked him if he wanted it as I have been thinking about getting one for a while as I had a few as a kid.

To be honest i'm not bothered if its Claud Butler or GB or any other I just want to do it up nice and go ride it. I am always in a world of pain at the moment unfortunately, and I am a bit of a glutton for punishment lol. I have managed to get the cotter pins's out now and that was a mission breaking a cheap G clamp in the process. I will see if there is a GB section somewhere on this forum for more info.

Back