Headshok or not?

Re:

Does anyone know if it is possible to test the lockout function on a DLR80 damper with the damper removed from the fork, just got hold of a replacement damper & am assuming that a 90 degree turn of the lock out adjuster would lock the damper but it doesn't :( thought I would test it before fitting & can't see any reason why it shouldn't work :?

UPDATE drama. Ok after a winter of riding road I finally got the Fatty fork transplant over with just last week. New SI bearing kit. New fork boot too. Not super-happy. If anything the 'thunk' and few mil travel when locked out seemed more marked (compared to when locked out and compressed by hand when off the bike) but could be just the bike frame (acoustically) amplifying this.

So I cycle two miles - mix of road, bridleway, field, a few kerbs with a big half-grin, this bike fits so nice, is so light and the newly serviced running gear is SPOT on, snicketysnoot. Now Reminded why spent so long looking to replace my old 18" F500 - the geometry is bang-on-bespoke for me, and it climbs and swoops so well, with a quickness.

But ... that little 'clunk' from the Headshok keeps on nagging. I'd put about 120psi before setting off - top limit, but about right for my 220 lbs of mass-culinity :)

After 2 miles I realise that something is amiss with the travel. The fork boot looks more compressed. The damn thing is now near bottoming out just by my leaning on the bars. air pressure gone. Not getting any XC riding done. Looks like a possibly expensive long haul. Have today refitted the original forks as they at least go up and down but would no doubt work better for 120lb rider :-/

Am assuming the blue Supers need a seal kit/service. (themalcolm seems like you were right) Bike fund empty for now. Bum.

Here pictured yesterday at the point of stopping:

16i6tcg.jpg

oh no! disaster, hope you get them sorted.

I've currently building up a Mk1 Scalpel I got hold of recently to use at this years Bontrager 24/12 as I think it'll be ideally suited, has a really nice 80mm Ultra on it at the moment that I was thinking about swapping out for a lefty as I have a couple spare but couldn't bring myself to do it, Fatty forever!

Back