Harry Quinn 753, 1980. Time Trial frame.

blightyinfurs

Old School Hero
Hello,

I've recently acquired a 753 Harry Quinn TT frame, built in November 1980. Harry would have been 63 at the time, and I believe he was still at Walton Road as Master Frame Builder; with this being a 753, I'm assuming he would have built it himself.

It's currently painted in an olive green, and it's a bloody horrible colour. I'm going to arrange for C&G enamellers (who would have painted it originally) to give it a fresh coat of paint, and put the original 70s style 753 stickers on. I was looking to avoid chroming with it the tubeset issues.

It's not a lo-pro - it looks like a standard road frame really, despite being registered as a TT. What I'm wondering is what would be the most suitable equipment/groupset to set the bike up? I thought a C-Record would be nice, but not quite correct for the period.

Any ideas appreciated!

1980 is a bit pre lo-pro designs.

Personally, I'd probably go for Super Record (you're right - C-Record would be wrong, really - it's the opposite end of the 80s!). However, the old Dura Ace might look god if you could get it. Or you could go for a mix - there wasn't the Shimano / Campag domination that came to be a few years later. Modolo, Stronglight, TA, Galli, Huret...if you can get them, they'd all be in keeping.

Photos:

Apologies for odd wheels, it's all I had spare at the moment. The pedals are from my daily ride, and are just filling the gap at the moment. The rest of the equipment came with it as it is.

Campagnolo headset
Campagnolo resin aero brake levers (never seen these before)
Cinelli XA stem
Unknown TT bars - they needed a shim, so not Cinelli.
Left crank arm is Stronglight, right arm is either Campagnolo Record or copy. The ring is Campag, 52.
Selle Italia Campassimo saddle.
Campagnolo aero seatpost
Campagnolo seatpin
Weinmann calipers.

Most of this will be going. I'll clean up the headset and keep that and the seatpin, and the black Cinelli stem will be replaced by similar in chrome.

Attachments

• DSC_7139.JPG
    DSC_7139.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,623
  • DSC_7140.JPG
    DSC_7140.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,623
  • DSC_7148.JPG
    DSC_7148.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,623
I think I would go for Super Record, Nuovo Record, Suntour Superbe or Dura-Ace EX. I wouldn't be a fan of c-Record on this frame.

Nice frame btw! :)

Thanks all. Took it out for the jaunt to work in the sun this morning, 13 miles. It's much more comfortable than I was expecting, and is responsive and taut. I'm not a fan of these handlebars though. The top tube is also very short, I felt far too cramped - I'll need to get a long stem and see if it would be feasible to move the saddle back a little.

I'd love the Dura Ace EX, but it does seem difficult to get hold of, though Hilary Stone has the gears in stock. Other than that, I'll be looking for some Cinelli 84 bullhorns, as it'll allow me to stretch out a bit.

Thanks again - I'll post updates when I get more done. Might be some time, as I'm getting married in August and my fianceé has been extremely understanding about this this recent addition so far...

JP

Elev12k":23vhkcl4 said:
I think I would go for Super Record, Nuovo Record, Suntour Superbe or Dura-Ace EX. I wouldn't be a fan of c-Record on this frame.

Nice frame btw! :)

I reckon that Suntour Cyclone and/or Superbe would go well on this frame. It is good quality stuff and more affordable than the other options . . . . . . . and just as good, imo.

Looks a nice frame - but I'm a bit puzzled by some of the details. It has brazed-on top tube cable guides (on top of the tube), an 80's sort of detail. However, the rear mech cable run must be over the top of the BB going by the position of the chainstay cable stop and there are no lever bosses, only a brazed-on 'stop' on the down tube, both more of a 70's detail. In addition, a HQ 'proper' TT frame would have 'fast-back' seatstays and vertical rear drop-outs so despite the cow-horn TT style bars I think this would have originally been built as a road-race style frame. To date it properly (and confirm it's provenance) the frame number would help, generally stamped under the BB and starting with a 'Q' (made from an 'O' and a 'squiggle').

Have a look here for some more info and possible assistance -

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... y_main.htm

Is there a head tube transfer and if so, what address does it show?

Legend (and experience) says that Reynolds transfers were not always (if ever) attached to HQ frames when sprayed by C&G. Speak to Norman at C&G, he is a mine of info.

I was a bit confused by some of the details on the frame too; my 1975 HQ has the rear brake cable recessed into the top tube, and the cables going underneath the bottom bracket. This also has fast-back seatstays.

However, it's possible that by 1980 the recessed brake cable was still an optional extra. The only reason that I can see that the gear cable guides are not going under the bottom bracket is that it's a Cinelli cast BB shell; I've never seen routing going underneath these, but on the other hand, I've not seen that many of them.

The frame has been resprayed at some point, which sent alarm bells going for me. As such, I've had someone who used to work in the shop check it out, and they've confirmed that it was built in November 1980 as a TT frame, and was made from 753.

I wouldn't have thought that 753 would prevent it from having fastback seatstays, would it?

The frame number is Q5320, and looking at the dates, I believe Harry would still have been in the shop at this point, aged 63.

blightyinfurs":3t7xkadw said:
The only reason that I can see that the gear cable guides are not going under the bottom bracket is that it's a Cinelli cast BB shell; I've never seen routing going underneath these, but on the other hand, I've not seen that many of them.

I've seen them. On more than one bike or brand.

Back