Halson Inversion Forks

yakboy

Manitou Fan
Always fancied a pair as they really caught my eye back in the 90's but they don't often come up in the UK. Back in December a pair were offered for free on Facebook as they were in quite a state. Tim was based in Canada so postage was going to be steep, but as they were gratis I thought it would be rude not too try and rescue them. Tim posted them at the end of December and they took 4 months to arrive😱 But escaped customs duty so the postage looked to be worth it. So this is how they arrived.
20210330_203213.jpg
Siezed solid and looking a bit sorry for themselves but I was looking forward to stripping them to see how they were constructed.
20210330_204115.jpg
20210330_204914.jpg
Mmmm just as bad as Manitou elastomers 🙄

20210330_205056.jpg 20210330_204954.jpg
Desperate situations call for desperate measures🤣 20210330_210647.jpg
Elastomer goo, the stickiness substance known to man🤨
20210504_090701.jpg

New silicone springs from...."Silicone Springs" of this parish. Bottom elastomer was narrowed with a bench grinder.
20210701_181131.jpg
Now bouncing nicely😄 So now I need to work out how to recreate the dust seals....not going to be an easy job🤔
And needs some cosmetic work,.May change the steerer depending on the frame it's going onto.

Last edited:
Nice job. Well worth the shipping cost just to have the opportunity to bring them back to life

They're "Different ", that's for sure.
Would neoprene fork boots like Lizardskins work in place of the unobtanium original rubber boots?
I had a set of these years ago and I think I did something like that 🤔

Good project. Still not sure whats going on inside though, is it just elastomers or is there a dampening cartridge also?

Quality work Mr Yak… I’ll have to pop over for a closer inspection soon

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
This might be of some help? I was sent the link by a guy on here who had the same problem (as do I )
Thanks for the link. I have been in contact with Roc Fu at improvepart.com who is doing some great work reproducing Cannondale parts. If I can get an idea of the interest in getting these fork boots remade it may be worth his while producing a mould.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back