Gumtree listing *BEWARE*

Jan Marten

Dirt Disciple
This listing is presently on Gumtree.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/mari ... pp_android

I've seen the bike, it's a **** deathtrap. Rusted drivetrain, rusted frame, incompatible brake set up. Imagine all this for only £125!
Can't find any way (so that I know it's reached a person not a bot) to report this to Gumtree. Local Police aren't interested.
Seller brushed off my concerns.

What else can I do to prevent some fool buying it?

Jan Marten":23gkqpz6 said:
What else can I do to prevent some fool buying it?

Buy it yourself to prevent an innocent civilian coming to harm?

Very little you can do I think, some fool will buy it, or the price will keep coming down until it sells.

There was a Bear Valley for sale near me recently for £150 :shock: but it did at least have a functioning STX drive train.

Re:

Appreciate your concern but sadly there's not much you can do, as echoed above.

The mad thing it It's nowhere near as bad as some of the other bikes I've seen on Gumtree... :shock:

Frame doesnt look too bad in picture, a project for someone?

What did the seller say when you told them your concerns?

I imagine anyone wanting to buy it will either see it as a project or want to give it a test ride and quickly disabuse themselves of the notion. I've had worse looking bikes - even well rusted chains can sometimes be brought back to life with ample application of WD40.

The only problem is the price. It's not really worth more than £40 in my eyes. In fact, I was gifted most of a Marin Bear Valley by someone on Facebook looking to get rid a year or two back (along with 3 other partial bikes).

Re:

As with any second hand item it`s `Caveat Emptor` ( Buyer beware ! ) it states `recently serviced & good condition` but it could have been serviced by a moron who has never touched a bike before and the statement `recently serviced` is still true. We can just glance at a bike and see faults others would never see, I`ve seen some shocking bikes out and about during the lockdown , a lady on the canal towpath had an old mountain bike with the forks the wrong way round and there`s a trader at a boot sale I occasionally go to ( in better times ) who only sells bikes from his box van and is totally clueless , when I see the crappy death trap kids bikes he is selling I try and warn people off when he goes to speak to another punter. Respect to the OP for caring but there`s naff all you can do as a third party.

Back