GT RTS - Some help please

julesg007

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Need some advice with the other halfs RTS.

The little lady has hardly used her bike in all the years she'd had - I reckon less than 100 miles - yes really - but all is not well with the old girl (bike that is)

Despite having hardly been used part of the rear frame has cracked (a fairly common problem I understand). The crack has occured around one of the pivot points where the drive side of the frame attaches to rear mech hanger (hope you all understand).

I can e-mail a picture as the one I have is too large to attach and not quite smart enough to re-size it :oops: .

Is it repairable or is that part of the frame now u/s?

If it is u/s I presume I can try to source a replacement but are all RTS frames the same irrespective of version or size?

If it is repairable - was the frame power coated or sprayed (it's a fantactic shade of yellow - main frame is dark metallic blue - a fantastic combination)?

The other option is that I just say sod it a break it for spares - any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.

Jules

i thought the swingarm part - the back half - was interchangeable across the RTS range.

i'm probably wrong.

but if not then bid on a cheap RTS on ebay and just use the bit you need.

or check you local garage and they could botch a plate support thing. i've had that done on my first aluminium frame when the headtube bit was going.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

See piccy for details of crack. As you can see it has not completely broken through so therefore I was hoping it might be repairable.

Does anyone know if it is possible to repair by alloy welding?

Jules

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 1,019
best way is to get new rear end .

it looks like a later model , so it will be alloy and even repaired it wont last long .

That is weldable but i would agree with the guys that it would be best to aquire a new rear end. I have to say i would post in the wanted section here as i have seen a few rear ends go on here before. Pickle really know his GTs and particularly his RTS's. I would ask him too.

Ive got a steel rear end to (hopefully) avoid that.

Keep your eyes on the bay, something will turn up :)

Yeah, sorry, just thought about it.

Not URT, cause the BB is on the main frame, not swing arm. :oops:

But i am right though, it's defo an LTS because of the pivot on the chainstay. Aren't i?? :?

Back