GT Borrego frame set in Germany

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi Spudalumps,

I guess it depends what you are looking for. The Borrego and Bravado are decent, but not exotic, frames. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong, but by 1996, the Borrego was 4130 CroMo and came stock with LX/STX components. With GT offering a range of Alu frames the hierarchy of GT steel frames went (from top, down) Bravado, Karakoram, Borrego, Tequesta, Timberline, Talera, Outpost. I don't think that there was too much difference between the Bravado. Karakoram and Borrego in terms of the frame in 1996, more the components differed. Earlier Borregos came with Suntour components. From my own experience, you tend to see fewer Borrego's about, certainly in the UK.

In my opinion, the Borrego frame offers a really good base for a restoration or a mod - or whatever really. The Bravado frames typically came nearer the top of the line for GT Steel frames, I have a 97 with Reynolds 631 Tubing The one for £20 in eBay I think is 98 ? This one is just badged Cro-Mo 4130. Bravados at this time came with a mix of LX and XT components. What I would say about that one on eBay is have a good look at the corrosion around the drop outs. I've restored some pretty rusty bikes, but this one looks a bit gnarly at the rear...not sure if that is flaky rust or a crack...? Don't want to put you off though, and for £20, the risk is not that high!! The Bravado frames too, offer a really good base for a restoration, mod, too!

Back