Gt Avalanche 00 2000 rear wishbones question

Triumphtopy

Dirt Disciple
Dear Comrades,
I have a conundrum or issue with a GT Avalanche 00 2000.
Simply put both the lower wishbones on the bike curve in (see photos) then flare slightly towards the rear forks-one may be slightly more curved than the other? Other than chain scrape no real damage is apparent.
Is this normal for the model?
If it’s not is it repairable or scrap?

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpeg
    IMG_3740.jpeg
    551.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3741.jpeg
    IMG_3741.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3742.jpeg
    IMG_3742.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
They're almost certainly like this to provide crank and heel clearance. Hard to say if it is damage or how it was constructed. Maybe someone else with the same frame can check theirs to compare.

They're almost certainly like this to provide crank and heel clearance. Hard to say if it is damage or how it was constructed. Maybe someone else with the same frame can check theirs to compare.
Thank you Sam. That’s the conclusion I’m coming to; having looked at the same model on line it does seem to be a design feature BUT it would be useful to have an owners view before I start rebuilding the bike.

My son has a 12.5” Avalanche of similar vintage. It has very shapely chainstays as well. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/sup’s-gt-avalanche-12-5”-build.458911/page-3

You’re fortunate to have one with exceptionally cool livery. Build that thing. It’ll look awesome.

My son has a 12.5” Avalanche of similar vintage. It has very shapely chainstays as well. https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/sup’s-gt-avalanche-12-5”-build.458911/page-3

You’re fortunate to have one with exceptionally cool livery. Build that thing. It’ll look awesome.
That’s really helpful to know, and all power to your son for his rebuild, a heartwarming story.
On the Avalanche with more work it does appear the chainstays were intentionally created that way.
I’m working my way forward either the frame restoration which should look great when completed. Apparently it’s a German market livery so something of a rarity.
I will post up results when completed.

Attachments

• IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 5
Back