Great big Singlespeed thread!

Van Tuyl VT980c Titanium

Here my first attempt at a Single speed.

Used the original XT cranks which I sanded and gave the same look as the titanium frame. Bare alu with a coat of wax.

Still a work in progress but like the singlespeed biking. At the moment I use a 1:2.75 gear ratio. I can still climb the bridges here in Holland, and max speed is almost 30km/h.

Not sure if I’m going to switch the Magura/Rond Quake 75 for a rigid fork. Like the suspension in combination with the semi slicks (26x1.3).

Maybe switch to discbrakes for a cleaner look in the future.

Attachments

• 45EEE7B9-CE3E-4832-B040-D517E5811063.jpeg
    45EEE7B9-CE3E-4832-B040-D517E5811063.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 3,300
Here is the single-speed I built in 2011 using advice from this website and which until this month has been my sole bike.

Raleigh frame branded Triumph. Date uncertain, it came to me with a broken saddle, 2 somewhat buckled steel wheels and a Sturmey-Archer three speed that only worked in 3rd gear and was dated 1987. Bought it from the daughter of the guy who bought it new.

Current spec largely unchanged bar maintenance from how I built it 9 years ago, excepting that I removed the chainguard (chainline has changed, it no longer fitted) and both mudguards (they didn't work with the wider tyres)

Shimano UN54 bottom bracket
Raleigh singlespeed crankset
Blue steel BMX pedals and blue BMX chain
26x1&3/8 modern Raleigh alloy front wheel
Custom rear alloy wheel, 26x1&3/8 singlespeed (freewheel) with 22t cog
Original brake calipers. Modern pads. All new white brake cables
New white handlebar grips to replace black as fitted
Mountain bike brake levers to work with the modern-format brake cables. Both on right side as I have little strength in left arm due to an accident half a lifetime ago.
Modern plastic rear mudguard.. it isn't painted, I found it on eBay in Triumph blue and is an exact colour match.
New white saddle to replace brown leather broken one it had originally
Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (Not happy with these: the protection against puncture is good enough but they just don't last, I'm near the end of the tread on the 3rd set it's had in 9 years. At the next maintenance cycle it's getting Marathon Pluses fitted)

Attachments

• Singlespeed.jpg
    Singlespeed.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 3,224
Re:

Bit modern but nice short SS film (10 mins) for those who’ve not see it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZIxw0bwe9Q&feature=share[/youtube]

Re:

Found at the local recycling centre...lockdown build... not yet had much chance to ride it yet - all the trails near here are a climb away... looking forward to taking it to Haldon when it reopens!

Attachments

• 988E9CF2-E3CF-4109-B239-BD3F02CB17FA.jpeg
    988E9CF2-E3CF-4109-B239-BD3F02CB17FA.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 3,146
DxMachina":3uj4qtqm said:
Here is the single-speed I built in 2011 using advice from this website and which until this month has been my sole bike.

Raleigh frame branded Triumph. Date uncertain, it came to me with a broken saddle, 2 somewhat buckled steel wheels and a Sturmey-Archer three speed that only worked in 3rd gear and was dated 1987. Bought it from the daughter of the guy who bought it new.

Current spec largely unchanged bar maintenance from how I built it 9 years ago, excepting that I removed the chainguard (chainline has changed, it no longer fitted) and both mudguards (they didn't work with the wider tyres)

Shimano UN54 bottom bracket
Raleigh singlespeed crankset
Blue steel BMX pedals and blue BMX chain
26x1&3/8 modern Raleigh alloy front wheel
Custom rear alloy wheel, 26x1&3/8 singlespeed (freewheel) with 22t cog
Original brake calipers. Modern pads. All new white brake cables
New white handlebar grips to replace black as fitted
Mountain bike brake levers to work with the modern-format brake cables. Both on right side as I have little strength in left arm due to an accident half a lifetime ago.
Modern plastic rear mudguard.. it isn't painted, I found it on eBay in Triumph blue and is an exact colour match.
New white saddle to replace brown leather broken one it had originally
Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (Not happy with these: the protection against puncture is good enough but they just don't last, I'm near the end of the tread on the 3rd set it's had in 9 years. At the next maintenance cycle it's getting Marathon Pluses fitted)

It may just be a quirk of the camera angle but that Triumph looks to have had a nasty collision at some time - forks looks badly bent backwards. The top of the blade should be in line with the steerer.

Back