Gravel Bike? Humbug! , Scotland needs proper ATTB's...

Re:

Cheers Velo, knew you'd have the info on the touring bikes :)
I think the BB tool I need is the same as some Campagnolo ones, BP-41400 I think :?

Re:

The correct tool arrived during the week, and as it's been pishing it down all weekend I set to removing the bottom bracket, which had been sitting immersed in penetrating oil that I sprayed down the seat tube over a week ago, so thankfully it came out relatively easily :D
I've straightened out the wheels, which despite having a few significant dings in the rear rim, should be usable.
Fitted some tyres, 30c CX mud tyres as that's all I could find in the "tyre mountain" :LOL: narrower than I'd like, but I think the chainstay clearance will be the limiting factor on rear tyre size, 38c might be the maximum after all.
No photos as it's been either raining/dark :roll:

With the nights drawing in the build progress will be slow, the man cave has been converted to winter setting, with my road bike connected up to a turbo trainer, so no room for indoor bike fettling unfortunately.

Re: Re:

jimo746":jjc9cjmj said:
With the nights drawing in the build progress will be slow, the man cave has been converted to winter setting, with my road bike connected up to a turbo trainer, so no room for indoor bike fettling unfortunately.

I dunno, your kitchen’s a pretty decent size. :LOL:

clubby":3lxxdud8 said:
jimo746":3lxxdud8 said:

I dunno, your kitchen’s a pretty decent size. :LOL:

Hmm... :) handy parts washer, cold beer within arms reach... If only Mrs Jimo saw it the same way :LOL:

jimo746":1pux6nqd said:
If only Mrs Jimo saw it the same way :LOL:

Rob’s been at yours a couple of times, surely she’s used to finding old wrecks in the kitchen by now. :LOL:

Re:

Progress.... 9-speed 11-40 cassette arrived, and chainset with oval 38T chainring fitted. Need to order a new chain as the couple of ones I have are too short.
I was able to sell the original wheels and buy some used ones on Bontrager rims, along with some 38c Panaracer Gravelking SK tyres.
V-brakes fitted, a mix of Shimano/Avid.
All I'm really waiting for is the 9-speed brifters to arrive from the East, Sensah Ignite, should be here shortly.

38c tyres actually seem pretty chunky, so I think they'll be fine, not much room for anything bigger anyway!
When the brifters turn up I'll swap the bars from my other 'Dale onto this, as the ergo bars fitted have a bit too much drop for this build I think.

Attachments

• 20201024_152718_copy_2064x1548.jpg
    20201024_152718_copy_2064x1548.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 762
We need to have a Retro ride for humbuggy gravel bikes :)

It's looking good. I always liked the look of the Moulton inspired front suspension on the Cannondales.

Anyone else planning a humbug gravel bike?

All bikes are gravel bikes if you ride gravel.

Got 2 slow builds on go that might class as humbuggy gravel. A Puch Promenade 20 that's getting 6 speed derailleur treatment and a 1960's ROG Sport step thru going single speed but can take up to 700c x 42mm tyres. Both bikes require extensive bodging so I'm having fun.

Re:

I think I have all the bits to finish this bike now, even bought some new mudguards for it :)
I've been enjoying my Singlespeed mtb a lot recently, so quite tempted to Singlespeed this for the time being, but then I'd have 2 quite similar bikes... hmmm.... will have a think on that.

If I get on with it I might even get out for a ride on it by the weekend!

Back