Graham Weigh CX Build

pwebb

Old School Hero
My restos are normally vintage steel 1980s MTBs but decided to acquire a similar age CX bike...

arrived in dubious livery and with knackered components - almost nothing working properly and the old deer head front mech worn as thin as a rizla paper!

s-l1600.jpg

I was just going to keep this as a winter trainer and hoped some new wheels and a more respectable saddle might be enough ( keeping the green witch for a halloween trick!)

IMG_20230823_094657070.jpg
BB seriously clunky and bar end shifters in a very sorry condition and not really possible to rescue so...

...complete strip down to frame and forks ensued

IMG_20230823_131458825.jpg

some serious wrestling needed to free the quill stem and also the BB ( ripped my BB tool to pieces in the process) but got there in the end - so off to cyclone for some TLC and powder coating...

...back from powder coating - very happy with the candy purple finish

IMG_20230921_110402907.jpg

mock up to check the proportions and colour scheme

IMG_20230922_140234554.jpg

thanks to 'tarloone' for the wheels - these go very nicely and are super smooth

now fully built up - with cheap groupo - while I decide what it might end up with - these components are perfectly adequate for now and 2x 8 is probably max that will fit with 130mmm axle spacing

IMG_20230924_140146602.jpg
I obtained genuine Graham Weigh decals but in all honesty they are hideous so decided to eschew these on everything but the steerer tube where you cant really see it and it can't offend the eyes!

IMG_20230924_140152441.jpg IMG_20230924_140205670.jpg

weigh-in (geddit?) reveals the whole build at just under 10kg so pretty happy with that

Nice job! What budget components did you use?
some claris and tiagra bits including brifters, front and rear mech and chainset saved some cash - these are perfectly functional but heavy. I think the most expensive bits were the NOS tektro cantis and I had some fun finding a new headset with 27.0 mm crown race that wasnt too tall for the pre-cut steerer but otherwise this was just like the vintage MTB restos I am used to. I am collecting NOS '90s period Ultegra parts for this bike gradually as I see them and will eventually upgrade.
that is a nice blog/website you have btw - lovingly curated

Very nice, love the dark purple.

(Psst, what did you do with them 700c wild grippers🧐🧐🧐 ?)
alas funky green tyres had to go in the bin - bead wires detached from the casing and the sidewalls were disintegrating - I have saved, restored and re-used the wheels though as they are still serviceable

Back