Going tubeless with tyres not marked as such?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bought some 27.5 nobby nics off here. I've not run tubeless before, but my wheels are new and designed to run tubeless. Tyres have no marking other than performance line and are folders.

Will they work as tubeless tyres or will I have issues?

This article suggests I should be OK (my tyres are pretty new year wise). Assumed all tubeless tyres needed some form of sealant anyway?

You don't need sealant in tubeless tyres, i never ran it in mine.

Not 100% sure about non-tubeless tyres but pretty sure you can 🤔

Every day is a school day. No sealant. Cool. Hopefully I can get some confirmation on whether I need to use sealant with the tyres I have. They may turn out to be too wide, have fallback tubeless tyres at the ready if so. Sounds like I won't need sealant for them then.

Ought to add that i have only run tubeless on my DH bikes, punctures were not really an issue. Sealant for xc (and road nowadays) makes more sense though a quick read up shows people still run without, they just carry an inner-tube in case.

Depending on which rim it actually is, 90% or more non-tubeless tyres will go up without complaint. (Some tubeless rims are just useless.)
Also, If it's a non-tubeless or a tubeless ready tyre, it'll almost certainly need sealant. Running without is a fairly pointless exercise anyway.
It was only full tubeless/UST tyres that you could run without sealant.

I don't actually know anyone who runs any tubeless tyres, of any flavour without sealant TBH.

I think all Schwalbe gain the tubeless stamp at that point.
Stick sealant in it, the article does say so and it's one of the benefits of tubeless, having your puncture try and seal itself.
Or at least that what the people keep telling me.

I really wish Schwalbe hadn't altered all the treads at that time and on most of it's range, they should have just given them new name (rather than cheapen the old design and make it more DH, berm trail oriented, I still prefer the older Nobby Nic pattern and weight for my riding.)

Started throwing the build together this afternoon. Coming together nicely. Had to visit the lbs as misplaced the 11sp chain joining link, now have a new chain as they had all but 11sp links. No bother.

Wheels are buried at the back of the garage, still new in box. I think they are fsa ns range, if that helps identify if I'm going to have issues with going tubeless. Iirc they came with valves and rim strip for the job.

Will dig them out later and see if the 3.0 tyres will fit the frame and forks. If so, happy days. If not, I'll drop on some 2.3s, pop the sealant in, inflate and consider my tubeless cherry popped.

Cheers

Almost any tyre will go up tubeless, some eadiervrhan others, you should be ok with your wheels & tyres if you've got some tape on the rims and tubeless valves, and sealant.
I broke my "Air can" pump recently and bought a few presta/Schrader valve adapters so I can use air line at the garage. Once you hear the bead popping into place you're good.

Hmm, wheels i thought I had were 29er, seems the 27.5ers are crossmax (not sure what model, the rims didn't feel cold to touch when everything else in the 'shed" did, I doubt they are carbon but they don't feel or sound like rims I'm used to. Thankfully I bought some tubeless rim tape and fluid a while back for my 29er (still running tubes at the moment on that though, waiting for a puncture to warrant changing).

I have a pretty big track pump, not anything fancy. Will I struggle to get the required pressure with that do you think then?

Like the idea of the presta adapter, might have to borrow that idea and when the need arises, find a garage that doesn't charge £1 for air.

Back