'Giving up' sugar

Re:

It's virtually impossible to cut sugar out completely, unless you make absolutely everything yourself from scratch, it's a cheap ingredient, so it's in a lot of ready made and processed foods, even foods you think of as savory. Pasta sauces, mayonnaise, frozen pizzas, you name it, they shove sugar in it. There's about five teaspoons of sugar in a tin of baked beans. :shock:

Re:

Me either, I actually do make pretty much everything from scratch. To some extent, I'm lucky, I don't really have a sweet tooth, but I am not to be trusted around cheese, or curry, or cottage pie, or seafood, or... well you get the idea. :D

legrandefromage":2pm0zscr said:
xxnick1975":2pm0zscr said:
I don't think you need to give it up, perhaps reduce.

Yup, everything in moderation

You need sugar. If your blood sugar level drops to zero you'll die. You body will convet protiens to sugar if its not getting enough from the food you eat. So as said above, it's all about eating the right types of sugars in the right amounts. Vegetables contain sugars. Same with fat, you need that too. Healthy balanced diet.

bigjim":svaul8bb said:
Most Muesli has added sugar. I find it hard to buy it without and I do like my Muesli. Stock up on Jordans at Asda when I can. Muesli seems to have shot up in price over the past couple of years. Thinking of making my own.

Agreed. Have a try of the Dorset Cereals ones. Pricey but worth it compared to the hoover bag contents in Alpen!

Re:

Most foods contain sugar in some form or another, mostly natural sugars in unprocessed stuff. You should avoid any refined sugar if you can. Bread is a common downfall, 100g contains 5g of refined sugar.

Salt is another minefield. We don't add salt to anything, not even when cooking veg / pasta / rice.

Latest posts

Back