Giant Cadex: ’90 890i and ’92 CFM1

Ferry

Retro Guru
I was 13 when I bought my first mountainbike a 1990 Giant Coldrock, this was quickly followed by a 1992 Giant Cadex CFM2 and the year after a 1993 Giant Cadex CFM1. I am still riding mountainbikes at the moment but not a Giant since.

In January I came across a Giant Cadex 890i and thought it would make a nice bike to commute. It was nearly original except for the seatpost and seat which I replaced for a Kalloy Uno 26.2 mm and a 1990 Selle Italia Turbo. It also had the original tires but I replaced these aswell:

p5pb14472487.jpg

p5pb14472490.jpg

p5pb14472492.jpg

p5pb14472509.jpg

This got me thinking and I started looking for a 1990 Cadex CFM1. It looks like most of these were taken apart for the Shimano XTR M900 groupset but a fortnight ago I found one. Luckily for me I was the first to respond to the ad.

It is clearly not totally original anymore:

p5pb14472516.jpg

p5pb14472519.jpg

p5pb14472523.jpg

So I will try to get in in near original state as possible. I have already found a set of Tioga Biogrips, NOS Shimano PD M737 pedals and one NOS Panaracer Smoke Lite. In the next couple of weeks maybe months I will be looking for:
- Original stem and white handlebars (probably the hardes things to find);
- Shimano M900 brakepads
- Selle Italia Turbo saddle

I do like front suspension though. So I will probably install a (white) Rock Shox Mag21 which was originally equipped on a 1993 Giant Cadex CFM1. A Rock Shox was also an option on the 1992 CFM1. However, I am not sure it was a Mag 20 or 21.

One last pic of the two bikes together:

p5pb14472528.jpg

That's a lovely set of Giants you got there; you don't see these very often!

Is that the 890i that was on Marktplaats recently?

Thank you. Yes, actually both of these were on Marktplaats recently. The 890i is from Maastricht which is only 15 minutes away. I couldn't believe it still had the original tires mounted. I think it gets harder to find these nowadays especially when these are bought for the components. I plan to keep these as close to stock as possible.

PS very nice collection of Yeti's. My current (non retro mountainbike) is a 2016 ARC C.

Re:

Thank you too :D

Are you looking for a white Mag21? I have one still, I think (as I bought a CFM-1 for its components a while ago.. :oops: ).

Lovely bikes, my first was a 91 CFM-2, especeialy the 890. Rare nowadays and I like the white paint. I remember loving the steel forks of the earlier CFM's, comfy but not flexing in thr wrong directions. Later ones had Alu, dead hard...

I had a 90 cfm1 back in 2012, one of the few bikes I regret selling. A lovely and very flickable bike. Giants don't often get the love they deserve but both of those bikes are lovely sir

Re: Re:

Double-E F":3swdtjf4 said:
Thank you too :D

Are you looking for a white Mag21? I have one still, I think (as I bought a CFM-1 for its components a while ago.. :oops: ).

I have just bought one. It should be in good condition. Could you send me a PM with your price and whereabouts just in case. Might still be interested in one.

No worries for breaking one for parts. It was probably the 1993 model? If it was a 1992 model: I am looking for an original stem and handlebar...

bartsince1975":3swdtjf4 said:
Lovely bikes, my first was a 91 CFM-2, especeialy the 890. Rare nowadays and I like the white paint. I

Yes, very nice paint indeed. Reminds me of certain GT's or Marin's with the painted stem.

KDM":3swdtjf4 said:
I had a 90 cfm1 back in 2012, one of the few bikes I regret selling. A lovely and very flickable bike. Giants don't often get the love they deserve but both of those bikes are lovely sir

Thank you. The CFM1 needs some TLC. I have also regretted selling the 1993 CFM1 back in the day, I bought a Proflex Animal instead...

Re:

You are looking for the stainless 1992 stem 1 1/8? Small chance it's still at my parents garage... Wil take some time for me to check, don't live closeby anymore.

Re: Re:

bartsince1975":j9jcga9a said:
You are looking for the stainless 1992 stem 1 1/8? Small chance it's still at my parents garage... Wil take some time for me to check, don't live closeby anymore.

That's probably the one, I included two pictures of the catalogue If you could that would be great. Take your time I know what it's like, I moved to the other side of the country 7 years ago (Randstad naar Zuid Limburg).

p5pb14473702.jpg

p4pb14473705.jpg

Re:

Like you, I have both bikes. Started with a 92 CFM1 and came across an 890i shortly after. I still have both and ride the 890i regularly mostly around town. It is my urban assault machine, love it.

As stated, Giants are underated.

Back