Gazelle Champion Mondial AA.653

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Offering Gazelle Champion Mondial AA.653 Triathlon frame + fork

This early 90s firetruck red AA.653 Triathlon frame is built using great quality materials like Reynolds 653 tubing (= 531c front triangle, 753 stays), Cinelli bottom bracket shell and Silva Skema fork ends and drop outs. Of course the famous Gazelle headbadge isn't forgotten >>

5693683411_e932348dea.jpg

It is a super-ueberrare frame. Champion Mondial AAs and ABs left the small Gazelle handbuild shop in small series (with or without custom modifications), but a frame like this AA.653 Triathlon was entirely designed and built to order. I would not be surprised if this is the only one that ever left the factory. I have never heard or read anything on another 653 tubing Triathlon or Time Trial frame. It was originally built for one of Hollands best triathletes.

Features
- full Reynolds 653 tubing
- Silva Skema fork ends and drop outs
- Cinelli BB shell
- internal routing
- leaping Gazelle engravings in crown, headlug, cable entry, brake bridge, seatlug
- 'Gazelle' engravings in seatstay caps
- metal headbadge
- special triathlon braze on for front mech
- fitting for racenumber under the toptube
- pump peg
- Seattube 54cm c-t
- Toptube 500mm
- Rear spacing 130mm
- Serial# 3309552

Condition
It is a used bike, but I would rate the condition as good to very good (8.5). There are some paintdamages that have been touched up. Imo the the cosmetic impression is neat from both up close as from a distance, but take a look at the many pictures to form your own opinion. Structurally the frame is of course 100% sound.

Comes with
A pair NOS fresh Avocet TimeTrial 20mm skinwall tires. I will trow them in as bonus.

Looking for 290 GBP shipped

Packaging will be done with utmost care using foam tubing and everything will go into a sturdy bike box.

View all pics >>>

Click HERE

5693691089_9cc82752c4_b.jpg

5694261520_007d4c0d91_b.jpg

5693693849_1c02c26142_b.jpg

5694256864_0606cd121b_z.jpg
5693695991_8e61d35db8_z.jpg

5428855386_93dbf9061a_z.jpg

Interesting frame Mel. If it is a Triathlon frame, what size wheels does it take, 650 or 700? Also, the seat tube angle looks very steep hence the 'non-standard' front mech bracket with the rearward projection. Around 80 degrees?

It would make a rare time trial bike for someone - but to small for me.

But I do like the colour :D

Thanks for your kind comment Paul. Good Q on the wheels :) The answer is conventional 700c.

On the front mech bracket: Yes, the mech would have had an odd position if a regular bracket was used. It has indeed everything to do with the geometry. The seattube is steep, but I do not know the exact angle. Going through the catalogues for a sizing chart also won't help, as it shows all kind of Champion Mondials but not this one. Some Champys never made it into the catalogue, like this one and the equally rare Columbus Max tubing Champion Mondial for example.

Thx for the kind words on the frame :) The frame is sitting here blushing now (cheeks even more red ;) )

I got it from a talented triathlete several years ago, who in his turn acquired it from the person the frame was originally built for. So before I bought the Gazelle, the frame had always been used where it was originally intended for.

Thank you masterfox :)

Elev12k":ux22wvmj said:
Some Champys never made it into the catalogue, like this one and the equally rare Columbus Max tubing Champion Mondial for example.

Another Champion Mondial variation that never made it into the catalogue >>> track time trial

This lovely frame found a new happy owner :D So SOLD it is.

Still available are:
Gazelle AA-frame
Fongers
RIH

see signature

Back