Gay Marriage

grahame":2s1ity98 said:
Chute55uk":2s1ity98 said:
@grahame, ... the bible is full of contradictions and was written over a very long period of time none of which took in to account the world we live in today, but I think its adaptable enough that one could work their lifestyle around it...
That is a feeble cop-out. The bible is supposed (by the religious) to be the revealed word of an unchanging, eternal, omniscient, omnipotent god.

So how can it change over a long period of time? if God doesn't change, surely his word doesn't change?

The God of the bible is probably the meanest, most racist, bigoted, downright evil being ever documented.

Damn right! the sooner organized religion is removed form society the better.

then wouldnt matter what you married

"The God of the bible is probably the meanest, most racist, bigoted, downright evil being ever documented."

That is one reason I felt I could no longer follow a religious life. That and the fact that the priest refused to confirm me saying I did not attend church often enough, I thought how could god think me unworthy for that reason when I even attended mass at lunchtime in the schools chapel. The fact that the very right-wing priest hated my very left-wing mother was beside the point

Alison

grahame":19ce8i9x said:
Chute55uk":19ce8i9x said:
@grahame, ... the bible is full of contradictions and was written over a very long period of time none of which took in to account the world we live in today, but I think its adaptable enough that one could work their lifestyle around it...
That is a feeble cop-out. The bible is supposed (by the religious) to be the revealed word of an unchanging, eternal, omniscient, omnipotent god.

So how can it change over a long period of time? if God doesn't change, surely his word doesn't change?

The God of the bible is probably the meanest, most racist, bigoted, downright evil being ever documented.
well no its not, some of the bible is the word of god a lot of it is the words of others who have had some sort of impact by god of their followers.
I diddnt say the bible has changed i said time has changed so therfore what was meant then doesnt exactly have the same meaning now. our lifestyle has changed so its hard to follow the letter of the law to its true meaning, and also its true meaning is open to interpretation.
what I meant was because the bible contains so many different points of view one could adapt oneself to it in todays world.
is that a feeble cop out? maybe and to be honest I have a feeling irrelvant of what I say you will have a ready made counter making it impossible for me to put accross a justified argument as by definition thats what it would be (an argument) and as neither can be proved it would end in a pointless exercise in fuitility. so my views are as such, Im not going to try and justify them i was merely answering your very valid questions to the best of my ability. you can judge me for that and indeed judge god if thats what helps you get through the day and I will wish you all the best in your life.

Chute55uk":hvgiibho said:
grahame":hvgiibho said:
Chute55uk":hvgiibho said:

well no its not, some of the bible is the word of god a lot of it is the words of others who have had some sort of impact by god of their followers.
I diddnt say the bible has changed i said time has changed so therfore what was meant then doesnt exactly have the same meaning now. our lifestyle has changed so its hard to follow the letter of the law to its true meaning, and also its true meaning is open to interpretation.
what I meant was because the bible contains so many different points of view one could adapt oneself to it in todays world.
is that a feeble cop out? maybe and to be honest I have a feeling irrelvant of what I say you will have a ready made counter making it impossible for me to put accross a justified argument as by definition thats what it would be (an argument) and as neither can be proved it would end in a pointless exercise in fuitility. so my views are as such, Im not going to try and justify them i was merely answering your very valid questions to the best of my ability. you can judge me for that and indeed judge god if thats what helps you get through the day and I will wish you all the best in your life.

I don't think the pope thinks the bible is open to interpretation. How do you decide which is the word of god and which has just been added as an afterthought in fact god could be very happy to receive gay and lesbian couples if the bible is so not to be trusted.

Alison

Indeed, why would he make gay and lesbian people if he didn't agree with it ! if he's the creator n all......

I treat most of it as an afterthought to be honest. I couldnt care less what the pope likes or dislikes, he is a voted in twat by one of the most brutal self appointing bunch of hypocrits that have ever existed.
to understand what i am trying to say you must understand how i see religion. i believe in god, I believe we were given an ability to make descisions based on a moral code. I believe what we do now we will have to justify when we are judged. I also believe that we have certain purposes in life one of which is to meet a partner and have children to ensure the existance of the people god created. therefore its illogical (to me) that same sex relationships can serve a purpose that god intended.
now this is what i believe, not what anyone else believes, not read out of a book or argues and counter argued to the point of exhaustion on the internet, my mind is clear. thats what matters to me. If it turns out to be a load of old bollox then so be it I was wrong but who cares?. I just happen to think its not and I have to live by that. :D

Why do you believe in God? Do you have any evidence to support this belief?

If so, declare it. Many prizes await the first one to come up with any convincing evidence for any gods.

Back