Gary Fisher Procaliber 1991: cheap find!

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Always liked this bike: it was Paola Pezzo's rig on her first serious year, and the bike which saw her winning her first championships. Its stand-in-the-crowd black-yellow-orange coating and exclusive price made it a unicorn here in Italy, where brands as Fat or Merlin weren't very well known yet. Too bad the frames were made in Taiwan, even though the workmanship was remarkable considering their provenance.

The heartbreaking theft of my DeltaV work bike set me on the research of a new velocipede for riding around town. So, for half the price of a supermarket bike, I found this gem: it originally came with a Suntour XC pro Gruppo, with Dia COmpe Anchors (986-ss5), Nitto post and a beautiful Sugino XP chainset. Most of the original components were there, except for the rear derailleur, which was a low end Shimano I immediately substituted with a period correct XT, and the brakes & levers, which were 1991 XT. I also found a Control Tech stem on it, and changed its wrecked Tioga City slickers for a pair of Ritchey semi slicks. This package makes my Procaliber a 10.7 kilos sled. Unbelievable, considering my 1994 Specy Stumpy weighed in at 12.4 kilos with full xt components and a lighter crankset.

Some patina, but the frame seems sound. Now let's hope my new U lock will do its job....

Attachments

• fisher.jpg
    fisher.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,087
Re:

nice ride,just found this one cheap as well.unique groupset when new.seeking a 28.6 seatpin + saddle.older fish's are very well made machines,IMO.http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher ... Fisher.pdf
mail

Latest posts

Back