Gah!! Family with PC probs

IDB1

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
just because I worked in IT for 19 years, they all think I'm a bloody pc tech :evil:

Just got off the phone from my Sister who has a laptop (Windoze 7) problem..

From in between her useless prattling and Google, I gathered that she is getting a message like
Application cannot be executed. The file <random filename> is infected. Do you want to activate your antivirus software now?

Which (thank you Google) would indicate she has a rogue program running and needs to get rid..

Found numerous 'fixes' all similar to this one
http://blog.gregfiumara.com/?p=54

Any pc guru's want to chime in and confirm/deny/suggest an easier alternative for me??

she's coming round in the morning (to my house, I haven't knocked her out - yet)..

I have so few problems I'm pretty rusty at tech stuff but can usually get by.. but some pointers would be most appreciated :cool:

run antivirus software to get rid of the suspected adware?

or google the dodgy website and see if there is a program that is associated with it that can be deleted
check task manager and google anything that look suspicious to you (often helps me, not with virus', just to check whats what)

is that helpful at all? :?

obviously so much easier when your at said pc

Indeed.. that's why she's bringing laptop to me tomorrow..

Most googling seems to suggest booting in safe mode, running an offensive crap remover and rebooting..
But.. since it's (probably) a rogue prog running, I'm wondering why I can't end it, find it, uninstall it (CCleaner should help with that?) and everyone's happy....

She's running McAfee, paid a 2 year subscription.. despite my suggestions to run AVG or Avast! and use Windoze firewall..

Now I'm going to have to get her to install Chrome, CCleaner and Spybot S&D ..

it probably duplicates itself whenever you remove it...i suppose you could go to start up and untick anything that looks odd.delete it then make a restart point and boot up again..should help..also get rid of that antivirus ..avg is much better..

Just found this on further googling. have highlighted the bit that I'm hoping will fix it..

You may see "Application can not be executed" Security Warning when your computer is infected with a rogue anti-spyware application or other malicious software. Malware blocks legitimate software (especially anti-virus) and states that the requested file is infected (usually an executable file). Then it asks whether you want to activate antivirus software (fake) or not. If such error occurs, you should end malware processes with task manager. If task manager is blocked too, then use Process Explorer. Then try to run your anti-virus/spyware software again.

I have only run AVG and Avast! (only ran Avast because there was a bug in AVG that meant it couldn't be removed and re-installed on the same pc because there were some traces of the old app there) for years.. and use Windoze firewall..
Random doses of CCleaner and Spybot deal with the rest..

Although, I ran Spybot on the laptop a while back and ended up having to wipe the thing clean and fresh install XP on it - so I don't do that no more (on the laptop) :LOL:

Anyway.. back to the problem at hand.. if I can locate the offending process I'll end it and run a scan.. see if that sorts it..

I was hoping to spend the day in the cave finishing the outstanding leatherwork so that I could concentrate on bikes again... oh well.. never mind..

I had this the other day - I'm running XP with AVG.

It's a spoof anti-virus alert that prevents the opening of any program, including task manager.

My quick fix was to reboot in safe mode, run Windows System Restore to a point prior to the infection and run AVG from there.

Agreed this is a spoof programme that tells you there is a problem then you think it's a normal antivirus..click it but what it does then is scans your pc and not clean it

a very handy and helpfull site i use regulary is

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/

They have always been willing to help newbies and run them through it

Had this on my Mothers laptop recently. She had to resort to regedit to remove the thing in the end.

Back