Fuelling for long rides/sportives

Re:

I've not been good at diet stuff. I've been doing 40k rides of late and don't bother with anything other than a bottle of water. Never hit the wall, but when I did the London to Brighton off road, I took some sandwiches, meusli bars and bananas which I fuelled up with around half way. Did the job.

The History Man":374f83wt said:
Amazingly a pint or two of milk is known to be as effective as many of the isotonic drinks for recovery. This was tested by a consumer programme.

I drink chocolate milk for recovery after a big ride, or training rides if I do a few close together

Asda stuff is fine

Mike

Mike Muz 67":22d4n4oc said:
The History Man":22d4n4oc said:
Amazingly a pint or two of milk is known to be as effective as many of the isotonic drinks for recovery. This was tested by a consumer programme.

I drink chocolate milk for recovery after a big ride, or training rides if I do a few close together

Asda stuff is fine

Mike

Same here, chocolate milk and a banana (I'm a Nesquik kind of person though ;) ).

jimo746":23nwsqwq said:
Mike Muz 67":23nwsqwq said:
The History Man":23nwsqwq said:

Asda stuff is fine

Mike

Same here, chocolate milk and a banana (I'm a Nesquik kind of person though ;) ).

That's good then. I won't ban you for your cheek! This time! :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, I'm referring to 'that' thread! ;)

Mike

Re:

Last year I was mega fit, regularly doing 100 miles. Here's what I did / do.

1: pre-hydrate with 500ml energy drink before the start
2: consume a gel or energy bar ever 30 minutes. I aimed for at least 1 bar for every 3 gels.
3: avoid anything with fats in whilst on the bike - I've heard that fat surpresses the body's ability to absorb carbs
4: drink energy drinks every ~15 minutes or so. I generally drink a minimum of 350ml and hour or 500ml hot weather and if stinking hot then more than that.
5: at the end eat something filling and have some more liqiud.

I do use jelly beans, oat-based snacks and bananas on slower rides, but if going flat-out then use the above. High5 is my favourite brand.

Re:

^^^ As above.
As for storing it, you can normally get a mornings worth for road riding (4 hours / 8 bars or gels) in jersey pockets. That take you up to 60 miles and any extra food can be in a saddle bag/frame bag/food stops on the way.

The bar/gel every 30 mins schedule is good, but if really pushing it or going for a long time try and do one every 20 mins. Of course, this depends on how many carbs are in the gel/bar in question and how much you supplement it with drinks.

Torq Energy gives a lot of advice on this, but it is generally specific to their foods. Take the kj values and apply it to your specific foods for the carbs grams/hr values.

The method has been fine tuned on many 12hr rides and a couple of 24hr rides on nothing but gels/bars/drink. If you're really going for along day you may find your tastes change after a few hours and you can no longer stomach bars/gels etc.

Or just rely on petrol stations and eat Ginsters and milkshakes.

Re:

Don't think its been mentioned so far but Soreen is perfect riding foo, its proper food for a start and you can just shove a lump in your back pocket and knaw on it as you see fit. Its packed with calories and it wont go manky if its warm.

Those electrolyte tables are good too, no energy in them but they really do seem to hydrate better than water.

As already stated for recovery a big glass of milk and a bananna has all the right nutrients in about the right ratios.

I don't do this kind of milage at the moment but just wanted to mention that I regularly buy the "Hike" protein bars from Aldi at 50p a throw - they do a banana one (nice), a cocoa one (nice) and a berry one (not tried).

They are all natural products as well.

Joe_Rides":2z9y8cuk said:
I don't do this kind of milage at the moment but just wanted to mention that I regularly buy the "Hike" protein bars from Aldi at 50p a throw - they do a banana one (nice), a cocoa one (nice) and a berry one (not tried).

They are all natural products as well.

Will have to give them a go.

In the end I rode 48 miles on the ride at around 3.5 hours at a steady pace as I was helping a friend who was struggling (don't know for sure as I managed to delete the ride from my new garmin :facepalm: )

I had 2 water bottles of sugared Ribena very diluted with a pinch of salt, filled them up at a feed station with plain water.

2 bananas and 2 frusli bars at 30 min intervals.

And a handful of Jelly Babies at the feed station :cool:

Back