FSA Orbit XLII headset bearing help

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've an older (c1999) FSA Orbit XLII headset. The bearing are different to the current one.

In my enquiry to FSA I'm being asked for the angles. Does anyone here know what they are or how to measure them accurately please? I've struggled with a steel rule & my phone protracter app! Looks like ext angle is around 55 degree & inside 35 degree but I could be way out.

ID is for 1 1/8. OD is 44.5mm. Top bearing is 7.5mm deep. The lower is 7.9mm deep.

I've cleaned & repacked them & added new balls to the bottom one but it's still very rough as casings worn.

Attachments

• b001.jpg
    b001.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 569
  • b002.jpg
    b002.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 569
  • b003.jpg
    b003.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 569
Re:

That sort of construction you may be able to pop apart, Shimano you can (with luck) and they are a similar style.

But probably buggered.

I'll see what I can find.

Re:

Current are 36/36, if different then 45deg?
Seems odd to change bearing style (size and a angle) and not call is a Orbit3.

Do you have any other headsets with bearings?

Re:

Seem they updated the design in 2001 (or 2002, I just closed the page and have forgotten already).

At that point they altered setups to 36/36 as they founf it best, you could update 45/45 or 45/26 whatever with a crown and compression change, so you have 45/36.

BUT unfortunately the one pdf for bearings from 1999 FSA site has not been saved.
So I done actually know of it is a 45 or already was a 36.

Cheers all. I'll keep digging. I have already stripped clean & repacked with grease. Even added new balls to the lower bearing. Still rough but will do until I hopefully find replacements. I could get a new headset for not a lot more or even less but trying to keep it as I found it.

Nothing printed on the casings - had the magnifying glass out.

Re:

Not sure if it helps but if you check my listings on eBay I have one of these for sale. And the bearing code is displayed.

Re: Re:

d8mok":ryxx07wu said:
Not sure if it helps but if you check my listings on eBay I have one of these for sale. And the bearing code is displayed.

Great thanks. That's certainly different angles to the current model so could be the ones. My bottom cup isn't as tapered externally as yours but inside could be the same.

Re:

I’ve got one of these fitted to my Zaskar and bottom cup is different again.

I’ve also got 2 of the original Orbits and they both different. FSA headsets don’t follow any rules it seems

Back