FS - RARE, Primera GIOS team race bike 1990s - XT, PACE RC31

cyclomaxx

Retro Newbie
For sale. £649 ono

I am selling a rare, classic GIOS hardtail MTB bike, bought direct from the Primera Sports race team, which was called 'Gios Primera', in the 1990s when they changed team bikes.

These are VERY rare - GIOS only made them as a prototype in 1990-91 and then returned to road bikes only, so a real collectors bike in their rather beautiful 'Italian blue' (think of their World Cup football team...)

See the 'Gios Project' from Pedalroom: https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/gios-evo ... ject-28452

"Absolutely gorgeous and unique model produced by Gios. According to my investigations there is only one model like this is the world as it is a prototype! Bike produced 25 years ago (1990-1991) by Gios in Italy when they made some MTB trials but they stopped the project quickly."
Frame: Chromoly 2730 selected and tested by Gios in Italy
More Info: Unique model / prototype

Ideal for a full refurb. Gios are still actively selling road bikes, so matching paint should be available.

Also on eBay, fixed price with offers.

It has a Pace RC31 carbon rigid fork in superb condition (selling individually for £120 in exc condition) , with the original XT groups throughout and the matching GIOS blue seat !

Wheels not included (previously sold), but a set of XT wheels are easy to find.

Pretty rare bike and looks awesome in the Gios blue - it always used to attract comments and questions at races.

Hi, needs a price.

A couple of things i noticed in your listing also. You say the bike is from 90/91 yet it has v brake cable stop on top tube, also no canti hanger? also you say the components are original yet are a lot more modern than 90/91. And the forks sell between £60-80 not £120 :roll:

Maybe if you lowered the asking price a few hundred ;)

Re:

Hi,
Thanks to all for the comments.
Trying to do it all too quickly on my side :roll:
I recognise that there are plenty of people out there who will know more about this than I do, even with Mr google. I have not meant to mislead.

- I hadn't spotted that the Pedalroom version was steel - my mistake and I will clarify the comments on eBay.

- my comments on the original components were regarding the bits when I had it, not ex-factory. Again, I will re-list more accurately. I thought this had all the current bits as when I bought it in the mid 1990s ( I qualified as a Dr in 1993) but my memory from 20 years ago has obviously failed me, having now looked up XT and seen that 9-speed arrived 1999 :roll: :facepalm: :facepalm:
My error, memory fades after 50 ....

Re. the PACE forks - I do have the original receipt for this from eBay ; I bought this in April 2004 for £99. See attached.
You are correct that they can sell £60-80 in moderate condition, but if you scroll further down on ebay sold listings today, there are several sold £100- £110 and one best offer down from £119.99.
There have been higher prices during the better cycling eBay selling season in the spring, when I looked before. I had originally planned to sell this last summer. My forks are in excellent condition, given the age, better than those I have looked at on eBay. I rode the bike on the road and soft forest trail as a training bike for road cycling after I fitted the rigid forks in 2014-15, so they were not stone-chipped. I can provide lots of detailed photos within the limits of this site as needed (will attach).

Dredging my memory banks a bit harder, I bought my first steel MTB in Bristol in 1995, and within a year or two of that, I think, I started riding the original Polaris 2-day MTB races for several years and the Isle of Wight 2-day races - can't find the dates online. If anyone knows the dates of these events, please say! I was running the KIMM (to become OMM) races at the same time, which had almost the same format. Having raced the first 2-day event on rigid forks, my hands begged for front sus, hence the purchase of the Gios from Primera.

So I acquired the bike some time in the mid to late 1990s. I'm certain that it was before I moved from Oxfordshire to East Anglia in 2001. I thought that it was the same gears/mechs as it came with, but seeing that XT arrived 1999+, I totally accept that I must have upgraded it at some stage. As well as working as a junior doc, I was enjoying running marathons and then ultras, riding mtb and then road, so those 10-15 years were busy (no kids!), often quite sleep deprived from nights on-call at work and I was buying bits from eBay fairly steadily to upgrade road / touring and MTB for me and my wife. I do recall upgrading my road bike from 8 to 9 and eventually 10-speed, so may have done the same for this bike.

In summary, that's my best recall of the providence of this bike. Please comment further if anyone has knowledge about the frame, as I have not found anything else online apart from the Pedalroom site that grabbed my attention (and I agree was not so directly applicable as I thought). I could always call Primavera next week to see if anyone has knowledge about such ancient history!

I am very happy to provide more photos as needed.

At the end of the day, the attached components are what they are ( I can spec and photo each individual bit as needed), but the frame is still, I believe, rather unusual and the main point of the sale.

Offers accepted - seeing your comment about price; direct viewing also welcome if you can get out to Bury St Edmunds or Cambridge.
You might even get a cup of tea.

Regards,
P

I

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9a.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9a.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 351
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9b.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9b.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 351
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9c.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9c.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 351
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9d.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9d.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 351
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9e.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f9e.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 351
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f96.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f96.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 351
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f97.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f97.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 352
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f99.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f99.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 352
Yes, the forks did sell for higher prices a few months ago. I was just going on the current price. The added factor for your forks is they have the canti clamps which obviously add value.

As for dating the frame, have you tried emailing the manufacturer? include some photos and the serial number and they should be able to give you some info on it. My guess is at least 96 based on the frame features.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I've emailed Primera just now and as you suggest, I'll fire one off to Gios and see what they say.

It's sparked my curiosity now as well, as I can't find anything else on google about it. Will update when I hear.

Patrick

Back