Tim
It's still here on the for sale thread here along with some pics
Back a few pages to April 4th...
Search for "Bespoke of Settle"

£85

Best
Lori

Re:

I was vaguely interested in the Bespoke, so I searched it up.
Its a 53cm not a 55cm as stated in this thread. Just in case any other potentially interested party was going to search.

Re:

Hi Ralph.

Thanks very much for your reply and your help.
I think I may already have that very frame heading my way, courtesy of my darling.

Thanks again Ralph, and thanks all.
Search over.

Kind regards, Samuel

Re:

Indeed I will! Thank you very much.
I'm going to put Campag bits on it. Hilary Stone says it will take a 5 speed freewheel, so I guess I'll get one of them, then two cogs on the front to get ten gears, which will go to the Campag gear change levers on the downtube.

It says a rear dropout spacing of 122mm, so I guess I'll see about a rear wheel/cassette with 5 cogs that suit?
Does it sound likely that campag would do vintage bits like that?

Re:

Samuel,

Campagnolo do indeed do all the vintage bits that you need to build this frame up into someone rather nice.

I believe the 5 speed rear wheels of the correct era (1970's) would have had a spacing of 120mm, so should fit your frame ok.

I did notice on the pics that there does not appear to be any brazed on cable guides on the top of the Bottom Bracket shell (and the cable stops for the rear mech on the chain stay rule out a cable guide under the shell) so you will need to get a bolt on cable guide. Campagnolo do these as well!

Finally I'd only go 5 speed with a single ring up front on a 70's TT bike, but that's just my personal preference. It's your bike and you'll be riding it so go with whatever's most comfortable.

For some inspiration check out either of my Emperor Sports...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=263892

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=301287

By the way, my name's Steve. Ralph is just one of my bikes names!

Steve.

Re:

Thanks Steve, for your brilliant help and advice.

I'll have a look at your bikes for sure.

Why is it you'd go for only one cog on the front?
I've bought a campag nuovo rear mech already.

I'm not completly sure I understand the cable thing you spoke about, but I'll have a little look.

Thanks again Steve.

Re:

Samuel,

I'm a bit of a stickler for tradition and as I understand it TT Riders back in the day tended only had one front ring. A) to save weight, no front mech, etc and B) not many TT courses were particularly hilly so a wide range of gears were not required.

Many Top TT'ers, such as Alf Engers, would ride with just a large front ring of around 57 teeth and and a close ratio block at the rear, such as a 13 - 17 tooth through block. Once up to speed lower gears were just not needed.

Of course, as I previously mentioned, I would never state that this is the way you have to go. You need a bike that the are happy to ride and can enjoy. Nothing could be worse than having a bike that looks great but is a pig to ride, so go with whatever is best for you.

As for the Bottom Bracket (BB) cable guide. Most 70's bikes had a brazed on cable guide on top of the BB through with the cable runs to the rear mech. Something like this...

If this is not present then you will need a bolt on one such as this Campagnolo one which bolts to the down tube....

Or if you go the front mech route then one such as this Campagnolo one which bolts to the seat tube and has guides for both front and rear mechs....

Hope all of the above makes some sort of sense!

Attachments

• Braze On.jpg
    Braze On.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Bolt On.jpg
    Bolt On.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Bolt On 2.jpg
    Bolt On 2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 236
Back