From tube to trail …. Nice … and the hard tail as threatened species?

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I like this:

And I notice that almost all new promotional and review pieces are focussed on FS bikes. Stanton and Cotic have developed steel fs but it’s the cheaper alloy and exotic carbon that seem the be the focus of sales, along with E-bikes as a focus of attention. The 3,000 gbp hard tail seems vulnerable to me yet it’s both the roots of the sport and still a compelling ride for me….

Cotic seem strong financially but it’s so sad that Stanton are in such trouble….

The durability at the heart of the hard tail - which makes RetroBike so strong as a community and gives us so much to play with - also means market saturation - even n+1 may not be allowing the small manufacturers to function…

Last edited:
There are still some hardtail options, you just need to look. Kona has at least 7 without considering e options
*Really thought I linked the hardtail section there, you'll have to apply filters yourself.
Rocky Mountain has the Growler too, along with the Edge and Soul hidden in the Adventure category

If you want to keep up to speed on modern hardtails, I'd recommend the Hardtail Party utube channel. He rides and reviews modern hardtails exclusively.

well I am not going to be SURLY about this issue, some people are psyCOTIC when it comes to controversy - some hardtails are still DIALLED, if I look I can find at least 18BIKES which are hardtail, and can celebrate with a SHANDy due to that...

I think what is happening economically has definitely impacted the bike industry, bikes at this level are essentially luxury items. It is worth discussing whether all around bikes such as mid travel trail bikes will be what buyers choose as all arounders, or Enduro sleds to have the capacity, or hardtails for the budget, and deal with the compromises each choice brings. I think the biggest hurt will be the n+1 club, doesn't seem as feasible given the current climate

Last edited:
Interesting - I haven’t phoned Dan and the team to find out, if demand is still there, why they got into trouble; I didn’t want to bother him at a stressful time….

Latest posts

Back