Fratelli Hubs - Re chrome

VeloFellow54":1mfg9xi7 said:
Finally we have an end result ! Photos show 2 pairs of hubs : FB small flange racing hubs with axles/cones dated 1952/53 and FB large flange hubs with cones/axles dated 1949. Some loss of definition of the barrel engraving is inevitable - dependent upon the amount of corrosion. Finding hubs (unless NOS) from this period with good chrome is not easy. Nickel was in short supply at this time (banned from use by electro platers in 1950/1 in the UK) and as a result much plating was done direct onto steel which has a very short life indeed.
Interestingly, the large flange hubs date from 1949. 4 years before before Campagnolo introduced the large flange Gran Sport hub. So - it could be argued that Campagnolo Gran Sport hubs were re-badged Fratelli Brivio hubs !!! Apart from the barrels and flanges, the other parts (axles, cones, locknuts etc) are clearly different so I have to assume that FB were only contracted to Campagnolo to supply assembled hubs with no internals. I suspect that we will never know for sure.
I have now seen a copy of the original patent application that Brivio made for steel hubs with alloy flanges. The application was made in 1931 and the patent was granted in 1933 in the UK. The patent (I think) would have expired in 1958. It begs the question as to whether British Hub Co and Bayliss Wiley were paying Brivio money for a licence to copy his patented hub design. Somehow I doubt it. Maybe someone on here knows the answer to this ?

Superb
makes my mouth water !
Think the high flange may have been produced before the war but no certainty

On the ads from 1936 below , interesting to see that one was also for quick release Campagnolo. They had a lot of presence prewar on high end bikes ( see ad below)

amusing to see that in France the flanges were sometimes engraved with Italian text ( see pic below) but I have also engraved with french text too ( but no pic available) and I have also a pair without any engraving ( see pic) !

Dunno if these were manufactured under license in France or not !

I strongly suspect that Campagnolo subcontracted to them until very late ( but it was kept undercover) !

still looking for a high flange rear one 114mm width for three years - to no avail :cry:

qUVdN9.jpg

From Delcampe
k3vnbG.jpg

Italian engraving
eSnJoD.jpg

No engraving
JBZgr7.jpg

I did read somewhere that Brivio had a manufacturing facility in France - or maybe had contracted someone in France to make them. I have also heard that these hubs have been seen branded Legnano and Simplex - but cannot confirm this as I have not seen them 'in the flesh' so to speak. I have seen no advertising pre WW2 that suggests that large flange hubs were around at that time, but.....you can never be certain. I think that the attached images are from a really high quality catalogue from ca. 1951. Would love a copy of this !!

Attachments

• 21746934678_df72f3e0ef_b.jpg
    21746934678_df72f3e0ef_b.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 21746926998_5363ed6d2a_z.jpg
    21746926998_5363ed6d2a_z.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 320
Amazing ! Really superb.
I bought a machine yesterday - Evelyn Hamilton - ca. 1949 with another pair of FB large flange hubs but cannot find date numbers on the cones. The rims are Clement Albioni clinchers - I have never seen these before that they really are very elegant.
Photos later when I get time.

Back