35 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_4993.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 341
Re:

Good pics.... Almost certainly a French frame. You could check out the more obvious French producers first- Motobecane, Gitane, Mercier, Lejeune, etc.

The frame might be a little later than I first thought, since those dropouts appear to be copies of the 'short' Campag. dropouts which weren't around until the later '70s. 'Piazza' might even be some manufacturer's in-house brand?... (I don't know.)

Have a read of this recent thread, if you haven't already:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;start=10

Re:

Thanks. I am going to restore it and than I post some pics. Meanwhile I m going to continue searching for more information. Thank you again for the tips.

Re: Re:

torqueless":2gabkj7i said:
Good pics.... Almost certainly a French frame. You could check out the more obvious French producers first- Motobecane, Gitane, Mercier, Lejeune, etc.

The frame might be a little later than I first thought, since those dropouts appear to be copies of the 'short' Campag. dropouts which weren't around until the later '70s. 'Piazza' might even be some manufacturer's in-house brand?... (I don't know.)

Have a read of this recent thread, if you haven't already:

It does look very similar to mine in the above thread, same lugs, same rear stays and the same little cable guide ring for the rear mech cable but different guides for the rear brake cable, different fork bridge and steerer (can't find any makers name on my steerer), different bottle cage mounts, no RGF makers mark on the bottom bracket and different fork ends (mine are Campag).

Hard to say whether they came from the same place but very similar all the same.

Re:

Yeah, it seems nunojoao has serendipitously provided a nice photo of the 'Nervor' steerer tube mentioned by Lynn Travers in your thread, (although not in evidence on your frame) and the little ring on the dropout, of course..

I'm guessing that 'Nervor' is a French brand whose steerers could've been used by any of the French builders, but I don't know.

Yes from the little bit of research I've done Nervor was pretty widely used on French frames but the steerers were quite often seemed which is where the wooden bung in the bottom comes from, I can't see whether @nunojoao's is seemed or not but mine definitely isn't

@nunojoao is there a wooden bung in the bottom of your forks? Usually there is a hole drilled through and the brake bolt goes through it. It does seem that these do get taken out though as they can hold moisture and cause the bottom of the forks to rust. And if you shine a torch down the steerer does it look like there is a seam down the side? you should also be able to see it at the bottom underneath the brake bridge because as you've stripped the paint you should see the join.

Neither the headtube nor steerer were seamed on mine. As I say what research I've done came up with a lot of info about seamed steerers (and the wooden bungs) on French frames but I didn't find much about seamed head tubes on anything other than cheaper frames.

Re:

Well, I've not done any research to speak of, but I would have thought that if a steerer had a seam, and any tendency to disintegrate along it, and you wished to maintain it's integrity, the last thing you'd want to do is to plug the steerer with an expander-bolt stem at one end and an hygroscopic material like wood at the other. Especially plugging it tightly- As I understand it, those hardwood plugs of yore on the continent were supposed to be put in very tight.

Back