Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions please

Re: Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions pl

This is how all these forks were fabricated by Giant, a lot of these were and very much, still are ridden very hard, in both amateur and pro racing. If they had even a low failure rate, it would be common knowledge.
The steerer extends right through to the fork crown and then the front brake is bolted through, so it physically cannot come out.

I have a 2003/4 TCR with all carbon fork/steerer that was once a pro ride and I have no confidence issues myself, the bike gives loads of confidence with it's sure footed handling and we have some very rough roads locally.
I wouldn't be concerned myself, just enjoy the superb ride and low weight they offer. I believe the TCR were the lightest production Aluminium frame produced, my bare frame is well under a kilo :shock: and they will ride better than most of the low/mid priced Carbon frames of today.

Re: Fork Steerer - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th......100th opinions pl

Just in the process of building the same frame and fork up, and my fork looks like that. Searched the net to try and find out the headset size, and in the course found out the fork weighs in @ 450 grams, and frame around 1250 for a size medium. Will post photos when finished, but I'm trying to do weight weenie on a budget with 6700 7900 group. Had to crack out the wallet to buy a digital vernier to confirm that it was 26.4mm crown race but once i get the headset I'm all ready to go. Anyway, i'm not worrying about the fork as haven't read about any issues except with the later carbon forks. Someone likened itto riding on 2 strings of spaghetti and a few of the US websites mention wobbles, so will stick to this fork for the time being

Back