For the photographers on here...

Fatguyonabike

Dirt Disciple
I need help with finding the best sources to learn the basics of photography. I have a basic camera body (D5000), with an 18-300 mm lens. I know they are on the lower level of options, but I think if I get a better understanding of the basics, I will be able to get better results. There are a $hit ton of videos on youtube and similar platforms, but I obviously don't know which are good and which are a waste of time. Any direction would be more than appreciated!

I would just buy an introductory book by a reputable publisher. That's what I did many years ago. It was so long ago, I can't even remember the name. Something like this would probably be fine: The Beginner's Photography Guide. But it's a personal choice, so have a browse around and find one that you get along with. Supporting a local bookshop would be good.

My best advice would be, experiment... Digital is awesome for this, in the past things were far more difficult, spend ages setting up the picture take 2 maybe 3 shots, finish the roll, develop film, 1 and 3 rubbish 2 is okay... Bugger!

Now, setup, 3-4 shots, check, change settings, 3-4 more shots, check, repeat... What does it matter if you take 10-20 shots 1 is bound to be pretty good... Delete the rest.

I would just buy an introductory book by a reputable publisher. That's what I did many years ago. It was so long ago, I can't even remember the name. Something like this would probably be fine: The Beginner's Photography Guide. But it's a personal choice, so have a browse around and find one that you get along with. Supporting a local bookshop would be good.
This is good. Also, shoot whenever you can -- with digital you don't have the expense of film and developing, so you can get to know your camera by using it and learning from your mistakes.

I found using Flickr was quite instructive too -- I'd see a photo I liked and look at the Exif data to see what the photographer's settings were, which went some way toward emulating them.

This is a great thread to follow too...

Would actually recommend you go on an evening class too.

While I can't comment on the recommended book, even in the digital world things are pretty much the same - a) being able to exercise total control over the camera b) successful picture taking (shooting) c) successful picture making (post production, presentation, etc.). Personally found a lot of books are not that good and just get padded out with lots of photos and insufficient detail to learn anything.

I need help with finding the best sources to learn the basics of photography. I have a basic camera body (D5000), with an 18-300 mm lens. I know they are on the lower level of options, but I think if I get a better understanding of the basics, I will be able to get better results. There are a $hit ton of videos on youtube and similar platforms, but I obviously don't know which are good and which are a waste of time. Any direction would be more than appreciated!

Hi, first I would get to know the camera, its functions and menu etc. There are plenty of online resources along with plenty of video tutorials on your specific camera.

Next I would focus on the subject matter you intend to shoot, again, plenty of online resources for any given subject matter.

The advice above regarding just using the camera is good, obviously that is the intended goal and actually using it is vital for getting to know it, especially in regards to holding it correctly, supporting it and its little quirks. As mentioned, with digital it is not as important to get it right every time so don't be afraid to take plenty of shots.

Some advice if you are planning to use the manual settings or to play about with them, take a pen and pad, keep track of which shot you are on and write down the settings for each shot, takes a bit longer but it is invaluable in the long run, plenty of pro photographers still take notes, or at the least carry notes already made around with them.

Having said that, the auto settings on digital cameras have for some time been very good, even with plenty of knowledge about manual settings more often than not the camera will take a better shot by itself.

Back