Football BIND

A cousin of mine works with disabled children and often tells me of footballers visiting his place of work and how particular players are gone 5 mins after the photo-shoot, he always mentions (he's a city fan) the now retired Dennis Irwin, who he says stays till the doors are being locked and the fact he seems oblivious his team-mates have scarpered 3 hrs previously.

I always admired Irwin as a player. Hard worker, seems he carried that through off the field! I am sure there are plenty of footballers and such who pay mere lip service to all the charity shenanigans, but we should remember many of these are young guys who have had a relatively narrow focus in their adult lives. Some of the international players are very committed to using their profile to assist in their home countries, perhaps your average rich Brit loses that perspective once they have lived the millionaire's lifestyle for a couple of years and lifted those they care enough about out of the gutter if they were ever in it.

Back