Flandria 1978 Campagnolo Nuovo Record

Thanks for the link :)

The UK lagged behind a bit and wondered about the rest of the world....my last Harrogate show was 1978 and the Portecena was a new thing then (or I missed it the year before) IIRC the Ian Hallam SABA frame didn't have it.

I wish it was mine :D

Shaun

torqueless":efs1tkiy said:
Yes.. Nice to see a Nuovo Record equipped bike with no Super-ness about it, not so much as a chainring... just for a change!

I like your bike, but 100 people are too polite to mention that your headset is not Nuovo Record, and your front derailleur may be a Nuovo Gransport... I don't think that takes anything away from your bike, just saying... because you listed them as Nuovo Record.

Regarding your rims... they have no labels, but they may still bear the ghostly outline of the label(s), which could help to identify them. I think I can see this outline in the rear derailleur photo (twelfth pic.)... over to the rim expert.. (which ain't me!)

Didn't knew that about the front derailleur! Looked up some info and it looks like a campag FD without holes, the lip that was introduced in 1978 and the 'sun' logo is indeed a Gran sport! Although their would be no performance difference?

For the rims: thanks for the tip, I'll take a closer look when I'm back home and keep you updated!

Doubledee":efs1tkiy said:
£530 that is a fine investment, its worth probably double that! Make sure you ride it...only on nice sunny days mind you. You will get lots of admiring looks enjoy!

Seriously? I knew it was a good price, but is it realy worth double that? Anyone else an idea? Not that i'm even thinking about selling it, but seems like a good return on investment :)

jujupunk":efs1tkiy said:
Wow, thats a fine bike. Looks to be in great condition? What work will you be doing to it? Doesn't look like it needs much.

It's in very good condition indeed, things that I might do are polishing some parts a bit more and installing toeclips and red straps. Thinking of letting a friend make me some custom flandria straps, he's a leatherworker and did a great job with putting new leather on an old Rolls sadle...

Midlife":efs1tkiy said:
Blimey that takes me back to my youth................it has lasted the years in much better nick than I have :)

I wonder when campag introduced the non-stabby curved skewers, coated brake guides and domed brake QR?

Nice :D

Shaun
Well, those three things are mentioned in the link that's posted, 1978 :D

I've also uploaded a non-resized picture so you guys can see what I mean with the 'burnt' red:

302ties.jpg

Certainly one for RBotM. Nice bike. Ishiwata 022 tubing I recognized. Bike is in a perfect state, almost to nice to use... ;)

Really lovely bike. Certainly worth more than you paid for it in that condition (though maybe not twice as much?)

I think the rims might be Super Champion, judging by the oval and rectangular sticker marks visible on the photo of the rear mech. For comparison, see:

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=203

If they are Super Champion, I don't know how you'd determine which model without the stickers. In my experience, the oval Super Champion stickers peel at the edges quite easily and start to look tatty, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone interested in appearances had peeled them off completely.

Nick

Very nice, my favourite! Super condition for the year. One small point (and I may be wrong) but the hubs have 'Record' on them which - I think - makes them older than the bike and, if so, definitely older than the curved QR's.

Absolutely correct for the Retro Ronde. Freddy would love it!

matthew71":og8fk20h said:
very nice, do you have a pic of the whole freddy maertens sticker? i think 76 is the year he won paris -nice ?

Here you go :

2vcuans.jpg

I think the rims might be Super Champion, judging by the oval and rectangular sticker marks visible on the photo of the rear mech. For comparison, see:

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=203

If they are Super Champion, I don't know how you'd determine which model without the stickers. In my experience, the oval Super Champion stickers peel at the edges quite easily and start to look tatty, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone interested in appearances had peeled them off completely.

Nick

Here is a more detailed picture of the sticker remains. The rectangular shape looks like a normal sticker mark to me, but the oval one is a sticker itself... Maybe the one who removed the original sticker wanted to give an indication about the brand of the rims for following owners by imitating the shape of the Super Champion rims :)?

1sijki.jpg

Absolutely correct for the Retro Ronde. Freddy would love it!

Well, maybe the Retro Ronde is exactly the place where this bike will make some miles :)

Lovely!

Interesting brand, Flandria. I think I'm right in saying that the brothers who ran it, fell out and built a brick wall through the middle of their workshop to continue their work in isolation..

The kit is a bit of a mix though, as identified already. Brakes '78 or later, but with non standard allen bolts (would have been hex bolts with washers), gear levers could be late 70s - not sure exactly when the style changed to recessed lettering - although the catalogue `17a' from '78 shows (on the portacatena model [first appearance]) you style with `proud' lettering. The headset, as noted is more recent as is the allen key extractor for the cranks. Curved scewer QR levers and the bulge on the brake QR show '78 or later. What's the date (the number and shape it's in) on the crank arms and the PAT date on the rear mech?

The hubs can be dated from the lock ring date stamp and cone date stamp from the early 70s sometime (although they might have been replaced at some point (particularly the cones) or (like any bit of kit) non original for the bike build.

Definitely a Grans Sport front mech, post '78 due to the lip as mentioned already. It would be interesting to see if the cranks are also '78 or later, which they should be, as the design changed to match the revised front mech.

BTW over time, I found the velo-retro timeline to be less than accurate in certain respects - I really should reach out and offer some updated info I guess.

Ah - I wrote that last one from the supplementary pics..

I can also see you've described the rear mech as PAT 78.

A little bit more.. The rear skewer is a combination of older and newer - the conical nut is the earlier shape (pre '78 ish) and the lever is curved - later shape. The front is consistent.

The brake cables look to be mid - late 80s C-Record white and the brake lever hoods are mid to late 80s with the shield logo.

I still can't make out the date on the crank arms, but the machined `bulge' on the inside of the drive side looks quite large - if it is the large version that would signify `pre CPSC', pre '78 and would be a mismatch with the front mech.

To complete the survey the bottom bracket would have to come apart to look at the axle markings! The differences are pretty small, so don't panic - it no doubt rides perfectly well!

Back