First MTB's

This was mine. Bought winter of 91-92, raced all season in 92. We bolted Anti-Gravity forks to it. I cant imagine how much it weighed.

huff_revolutuion.jpg

I found this pic off a current ebay auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/Huffy-mountain-bike ... dZViewItem

I haven't seen one in over 15 years! Look at the brake mount plates. They had to lower the canti studs by a half inch or so, for what reason, I'll never know. Rear shifter housing ran the whole way? Loved it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
First proper mountain bike was an 88 Rockhopper comp in blue & white.
It still sits in memory as my favourite bike ever.

My first off roader was an early 80's Green Viscount Sprint racer, did jumps and single tracks.... right until I twisted the back end after clearing 3 meters from a bmx jump... further than any of the bmxs around that day :)

History

Hi all...first post, so start from the begining

Working on the principle that: straight bars = mtb! :)

Raleigh Boxer
Raleigh Grifter
Raleigh Maverick
Kona Fire mountain

And that it!...I believe my fire mountain is 18 years old!

Mine was a white 21" Raleigh Mirage, bought second hand from my apprentice, he didn't know the seat post was stuck ( I still don't believe him). Binned the frame after splitting it freeing the post :cry:

my first was a muddyfox courior at the begining of 89, then by the end of 89 i got a kona explosive, the rest is history as they say :D
my first road bike was a cheap harrier thing, then i got a 93 giant cadex much better lol,

paul

1992 Diamond Back Response 22inch - True Temper frame with a lovely 'ting' when flicked with your fingernail!

LX with Deore thumbies. Hot yellow (the other colour for this model was grey with white and pink splatters which I'd have preferred but none were around!).

Great bike - had some of the earliest Marzocchi forks on the front which I managed to break the steerer tube on!

Interestingly it had a 32 spoke front wheel and 36 hole rear from the factory!

I've not got any photos of it so if anyone has a '92 Diamond Back catalogue I'd love a scan.

Got a job in a bike shop after buying this bike. Traded 'up' to a '95 Trek 970. then a Kona U'Hu. Sold the Response to a bloke who then moved to the UK.

stuey":i7lo74sm said:
Falcon Sherpa- Hi ten frame steel rims and lovely bright yellow paint.

Not too sure I'd choose the phrase 'mountain bike' to describe the sherpa :LOL:

That said, I went everywhere my mate did with his old blue Saracen Tufftrax

Mine was yellow too, with white forks, stem and steel bars – friction (grind-it) gears only, and yet we never complained.

On one particularly wet ride the not-so-sealed bottom bracket actually seized solid forcing me to coast home off Dartmoor (getting a tow along the flats).

The steel rims were an inspired inclusion – made any decent off-road exciting, cause once things that heavy are spinning there's no stopping them.

Ah… Those were the days

The folks thought I should swap my falcon pro bmx for a mountain bike. :oops:
That turned out to be an Emelle Cougar.....heavy as hell! :oops:

I managed to get rid of this and buy a second hand '89 Marin Pine Mountain. This was three years old when I got it.

I still have the Pine Mountain and now an Orange X1 pro aswell. :cool:
Thats about as exotic as it gets for me.

Back