First MTB's

Shogun Trailbreaker II with 200GS. 16" and I was 5'11" and 15, my parents listened!

Was running a Suntour GPX rear mech and front hub, DX rear mech, Ritchey Logic brake levers, DX thumbies, Velocity stem, Turbo saddle, Mavic 231cd's and Smoke lites within a year!

I was saving up to buy a Orange Prestige frame to hang it all off when it got pinched from outside Taunton swimming pool. Bastards.

Then I bought my Dyna Tech Quantum Ti with the insurance money + £500 and my summer job in LBS paid my parents back.

Halcyon days. :cool:

heh, ive got a mint shogun TB 2 from about 96 sat in the shed, it was purchased for my sister, and she rode it all of 2 times.

my 1st MTB was a raleigh mustang :oops:
2nd a Raliegh Amazon
3rd a Mtrax 1000
4th 1994/5 Marin Team Marin (steel)- i still have it...just on its way back into full service now :)
then onto a series of Kona's

Mine was a 1990 Scott Boulder....Deore LX with Biopace rings, quickly upgraded with Control Tech stubbie bar ends, Turbo saddle and Elite bottle cage with a yellow Giro Bottle Rocket, still got the frame and forks hanging up in the shed :D

Stu

First was a brand new Raleigh Ozark, 1987. Exage hadn't been invented then so it just had the sub-Deore bits - 18 speed SIS and a U brake. Massive 531 frame in a cracking black to red fade and it will be 20 this year - time for it's 3rd respray I think.

1987 Muddy Fox Courier. 19&1/2in frame - the smallest on offer.

I bloody loved it. Until I bought my 1988 Trekker, then I bloody loved that more.

I then thought it would be 'cool'to splatter paint the Courier with humbrol enamel paint like a Kona (that had just appeared on the scene making my bikes look like they were from the century before) . - Bad move. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Brand new 1991 GT Timberline with Exage 300LX in 16" guise for my 14th birthday - I followed MBUK's rule of nothing under £300 or over 30lbs in weight! SPuDs were on it within 6 months... Didn't have a cassette tool at the time so removed the rear plastic disc thing by melting it off with my Dad's soldering iron! ;)

gradeAfailure":3jxpfo66 said:
Didn't have a cassette tool at the time so removed the rear plastic disc thing by melting it off with my Dad's soldering iron! ;)

LOL - there's a thread in itself...How did you get the plastic chain deflector thing off the top of your cassette when you were a teenager on a first mtb?

I mangled mine off with a pair of wire cutters and a lot of swearing - much to the distress of parents that had "just bought the bloody thing". :LOL:

ahhh. the first mtb.
21" Raleigh Mirage. Too big for me then, still too big now. Not sure there's much growing left in me either at the age of 30.

Wu-Tangled":ara4hdvp said:
LOL - there's a thread in itself...How did you get the plastic chain deflector thing off the top of your cassette when you were a teenager on a first mtb?

tin snips.

first mtb a raliegh marauder outof the wifeys catalouge 23" frame (i'm 6') snapped the crank within 4 weeks,a 1pc bmx type thing ,also fitted ergo grips and a frame bag ,took it to the wonderful mr haines shop of dreams to be repaired ,noticed a diamond back topanga outside in the trade in bit
and came away £10 lighter and a proper bike richer.

when i were a nipper we used to build "scramblers" out of 10 speeds(racers) or shoppers fitted with trials (motor)bike or speedway bars
we didn't really go up mountains but in the local hills and parks they were our weapons of choice
my mate tosh had a carlton 10 speed with speedway bars (steel bars with a brace that was flattened where it joined the main bar so you could get it through the clamp bolt split)
ali had a raliegh rsw with renthal trials bars this had a drum brake on the
front
i had a dawes kingpin with steel motocross bars brazed into rhe stem
and a bsa 10 speed with alloy bars and a coke can shim and centere pull
campy brakes
various others had a motley collection of bikes (bit like today to be honest)
this was in the early 70's so pre-dated bmx ...now that would have made
a differance.
then in about 1975/6 we all got mopeds/motor bikes

happy days

mike

Back