Finally after a decade of looking... It's now here. Pics.

Those who say Marins are boring might not be pursuaded otherwise by that...ummm...'spectacular' shot of the Team Ti + model. Not exactly 'cool' old school mountainbiking to my mind.

thecannibal":1pcwj1lm said:
Those who say Marins are boring might not be pursuaded otherwise by that...ummm...'spectacular' shot of the Team Ti + model. Not exactly 'cool' old school mountainbiking to my mind.

The 'model' is Bob Buckley, the president of the company! He would regularly test his bikes on Mt. Tam, one the birth places of the modern ATB. Some our our US forum members will confirm this for you.

And, 'cool' is a very subjective issue. Remember all those that thought Burberry was cool, while the rest of us would cringe? It took them a while to catch up as well.

Oh yeah, cool is subjective - different strokes etc. However, I think this photo sums up pretty well how Marin has (at least in my experience from years of bike shop/trail chat) maintained an image of 'uncoolness' in the bike trade.

Here they've managed to make an owner/rider testing a beautiful American-made titanium dream bike look really, really lame. I mean look at the dude's shorts - I'm sure he's a top bloke and everything, but the look is more Rain Man than Tomac. He even makes Gary Fisher look genuinely stylish!

thecannibal":31nfqtm4 said:
Oh yeah, cool is subjective - different strokes etc. However, I think this photo sums up pretty well how Marin has (at least in my experience from years of bike shop/trail chat) maintained an image of 'uncoolness' in the bike trade.

Here they've managed to make an owner/rider testing a beautiful American-made titanium dream bike look really, really lame. I mean look at the dude's shorts - I'm sure he's a top bloke and everything, but the look is more Rain Man than Tomac. He even makes Gary Fisher look genuinely stylish!
#
Who cares what the owner of the company looks like? Enzo Ferrari was no oil painting, and not at all a nice man either. Does that make Ferraris sad?

I think I've still got the t-shirt from the ad, in the colour of the one that's at the top of the pile.

One of the saddest days of my life was when I saw a Team Ti that had been in a bad crash and crumpled the down tube :cry:

It arrived today, and what a lovely thing it is too. It's been sat around a warehouse for 16 years waiting for my phone call.

P1000553.jpg

Back