Fedex Customs/Import Charges AFTER i Recieve Goods!

It's true, If he sends it insured then he can only claim back the insured value should it go missing and who wants to loose a an item just to get a quarter back?

I do wonder though what it is you bought to have a 500 pound fee?

KDM":2yfi8hed said:
It's true, If he sends it insured then he can only claim back the insured value should it go missing and who wants to loose a an item just to get a quarter back?

I do wonder though what it is you bought to have a 500 pound fee?

I discussed this with the seller and i was prepared to take the risk if it got lost, sellers have done this for me so many times and i have never had any issues.

I cant swear to it but I had a letter from Fedex well after receiving something asking for around £50. This was at least two years ago...

I don't know but something didn't look right about it... the quality of the printing on the letter was poor and almost looked like a photocopy...

Anyway, I ignored it and heard nothing further...

Could it have been some sort of scam run by someone with access to Fedex's data?

That sounds way too much for an item costing £1300, i would have thought £250 at the most. Plus the £8 for the pre-payment :evil:

Vat and duty, probably not far off, it varies depending on goods type also.

It sucks big time but you always have to consider it a risk, win sometimes loose others, although I think the 'keep you head down' tactic has to be worth a go! As far as I could tell Fed-Ex have paid it for you, so you won't have HMRC chasing you.

I've had many a seller brick it and fill the form in honestly despite agreeing to mark otherwise. Ain't really their fault...

15% duty for bikes, 20% VAT all charged on the total of the goods and the delivery charge then add on the handling fee which is sometimes a fixed charge but can also be a %. It's amazing how quickly it all adds up....

Always make sure they mark up as gift or as 'bike parts' as the attract a much lower duty rate-4% and never import a bike from China as they have a duty rate of nearly 50%!

I took a guess at some of the charges but the break down is as follows on a pricey bike with pricey shipping (as it all seems to be now):

From where to where you import
Edit
Importing from: United States
Importing to: United Kingdom
The type of product, its value and where it was manufactured
Edit
Product description: Bike
Product category: Bicycle with both wheels size 55 cm to 63.5 cm  (8712007090)
Product value: US$2000.00
Country of manufacture: United States
The cost of shipping and insurance of importing
Edit
Shipping costs: US$500.00
Insurance costs: US$100.00
Calculation results
Edit
Total customs value: £1658.76
- Duty: £248.81
- VAT: £381.52
Total import duty & taxes due: £630.33